From: callum.gibson@db.com
To: rc@hawkwind.utcs.utoronto.ca (rc Shell)
Subject: Re: non login "rc" needs customized environment
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 20:46:23 -0500	[thread overview]

tjg@star.le.ac.uk writes:
}4. I'm not at all keen to introduce any more compile-time options.
}   This implies that we must seek a solution which is acceptable to
}   everybody (or almost everybody).

It seems to me the default is backwards. Due to rc being invoked from
various place over which you may not have control (and hence can't add
the -l flag), rc should by default read .rcrc (or something). It is easy
to avoid reading it by adding a test to the first line, eg. (using the
level count variable someone suggested):

~ $rclvl () && {
rclvl=1
#rest of your usual .rcrc - put it in a file if you want and source it
#like this
. .rclogin
} || {
rclvl=`{expr $rclvl + 1}
# other stuff you might want to do every time.
}

We don't need a maze of twisty dot files, just one which is always read.
Since rc stuffs everything in environment variables things are inherited
by sub-rc-shells anyway, including functions.

Of course, the major problem is that this isn't backwards compatible.
What it _does_ allow is a choice between whether you get the startup
files or not, which the current default does not allow for.

(c)2002 Callum Gibson                       callum.gibson@db.com
Global Markets IT, Deutsche Bank, Australia       61 2 9258 1620
### The opinions in this message are mine and not Deutsche's ###