From: Tim Goodwin <tgoodwin@cygnus.co.uk>
To: rc@hawkwind.utcs.toronto.edu
Subject: New rc snapshot available
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 11:10:33 -0400	[thread overview]

A new snapshot is available from here.

    ftp://ftp.cygnus.com/pub/tgoodwin/rc/snap/rc-1.5s19981021.tar.gz

I hope that this will be the last snapshot before another beta release,
but we'll see... :-)

The only significant code change since the last snapshot is to handle
the case where a rogue application has set stdin (or wherever rc is
reading commands from) to non-blocking mode.

For example, running this program would cause previous versions of rc
to exit, saying "read: Try again".  In this snapshot, nothing untoward
happens.

    /* Set stdin to nonblocking, and crash rc! */
    #include <sys/types.h>
    #include <unistd.h>
    #include <fcntl.h>
    #include <errno.h>
    int main(void) {
            int flags;
            flags = fcntl(0, F_GETFL);
            flags |= O_NONBLOCK;
            fcntl(0, F_SETFL, (long) flags);
            flags = read(0, &flags, 1);
            printf("read returns %d, errno == %d\n", flags, errno);
            return 0;
    }

I would be grateful if people with "obscure" systems could grab this
snapshot and let me know if it works: it's possible I need to add some
more configury to handle variants of fcntl(), O_NONBLOCK, etc.  I have
tested this snapshot on SunOS 4.1.4, Solaris 2.6, RedHat 4.2, RedHat
5.1, Irix 5.3, AIX 4.1, and Ultrix 4.4.  If you don't see your favourite
system here, please spare a few minutes to ensure that I haven't broken
anything.

Thanks to Gert-Jan Vons for reporting this bug!

Also, Tom Culliton has reported that recent rc snapshots fail to `make
trip' on AIX 4.2 (although in normal use it apparently behaves itself).
Unfortunately, I haven't been able to reproduce this on AIX 4.1, and I
don't have access to an AIX 4.2 box.  Tom doesn't have time to track it
down.  Please, please, please, any AIX 4.2 users out there, can you
try this snapshot and let me know how you get on?

Thanks,

Tim.