From: Paul Haahr <paul@paulhaahr.com>
To: rc@hawkwind.utcs.toronto.edu
Subject: Re: $^t
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 23:37:16 -0500

Callum Gibson wrote
> FWIW, I think $^t is more logical since it conserves special chars, even
> if it reverses the sense of the ^ operator.

I don't think it reverses the sense at all.  $^ was originally intended
to mean ``repeated application of the ^ operator on a variable.''

For what it's worth, that syntax in Byron's implementation appears to
date from early 1991:

  From: byron@archone.tamu.edu (Byron Rakitzis)
  To: haahr@adobe.com
  Subject: list flattening
  Date: Wed, 9 Jan 91 17:55:45 CST

  is now in as an operator. yip yip.

(I also have a drop of rc from half an hour before that message which
doesn't include $^, so we can be fairly precise about its timing.)

--p