* discussion about builtins
@ 1991-08-02 10:45 malte
From: malte @ 1991-08-02 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rc

I like rc because it is small and fast. If you keep out things like test
and echo, this might comply with the true faith in modularity, but it
slows things down.  Because of this, I am in favour of incorporating these
into rc.
On one hand I appreciate the nice features of readline. On the other readline
multiplies the ressource usage of rc. My consequence was to build two versions
of rc, one with readline for interactive use, and one without for use in
shell scripts.

By the way, I don't like the offensive tone of some people. I am not dull,
I just lack some of your experiences.

Malte		(malte@techfak.uni-bielefeld.de)

* Re: discussion about builtins
@ 1991-08-02 10:54 ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 1991-08-02 10:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rc

    On one hand I appreciate the nice features of readline. On the other
    readline multiplies the ressource usage of rc. My consequence was to
    build two versions of rc, one with readline for interactive use, and one
    without for use in shell scripts.

Isn't that a bug in readline?  Shouldn't it realise what it's reading
and do the right thing?  You don't need two rc's.  That's absurd.

I still reckon that readline support should be removed, although it's lower
down on my `list of things to prevent'.