From: dmoore@sdnp1.UCSD.EDU (David Moore)
To: culliton@srg.af.mil (Tom Culliton x2278)
Cc: rc@hawkwind.utcs.toronto.edu
Subject: Re: Command execution
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1992 19:04:58 -0400	[thread overview]

Tom Culliton writes:

| >>				Contrary to the documentation, Duff's rc
| >> and Byron's behave the *same* for 'foo/bar', and at least Rob Pike a)
| >> thinks this is a good thing and b) uses this feature.
|
| This iregularity troubles me more, but thats just because odd little
| gotchas set my teeth on edge, and in almost any other unix context
| "x/y" is identical to "./x/y".  Could you say more about why Pike
| thinks this is good and what you would use it for?

	I use this all of the time.  At first I found it strange that
'x/y' wasn't './x/y' but I quickly retrained.  Also, I don't have '.'
in my path so I'm well used to using './' in front of things as needed.

Now, the reason I use this.  I some subdirectories of binaries that I
use occasionally, but don't want to pay the performance hit of leaving them
in my path.  Also, I just don't want them in my path because of some name
conflicts with std programs.

Example: I do have '/usr/local/bin' in my path.  If I want to run the
file '/usr/local/bin/cap/atlook VA', as I do once or twice a week, I
just do 'cap/atlook VA' and it does it.  I find this very convenient
and I like it better than having a function named 'atlook' which
knew where to go.

I currently have a hosts directory of machines I log into also.  I've been
thinking of removing this from my path, and just using 'hosts/foo' to get
to them.

| Tom

David

--
David Moore <dmoore@ucsd.edu> - SysAdmin/Programmer
UCSD | Dept. of Anesthesiology | V-151 | La Jolla, CA 92093-9151