From: broman@peanuts.nosc.mil (Vincent Broman)
To: rc@hawkwind.utcs.toronto.edu
Subject: Memory leaking
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1993 15:00:22 -0400	[thread overview]

I run rc 1.4 on 386-Minix (and other machines) with the editline add-on.

I have a recurring problem that looks like a memory leak in rc.
After some time interacting with rc, I eventually type something
like "ls | more" and get one or two messages "Arg list too long",
which is perror output for the E2BIG error, happening in exec().
The problem is always fixable by doing "exec rc -l" and going on.
Since Minix fixes the memory allocated to a program at exec time
to a user-chosen, but modest, value, it appears that the program
is running out of memory.  I checked my yacc and it doesn't seem
to malloc().  It is not impossible that the Minix exec() call itself is
buggy, but can anyone suggest any other avenues of investigation?
Anyone else see memory leaks not caused by yacc?

Vincent Broman,  code 572 Bayside
Naval Command Control and Ocean Surveillance Center, RDT&E Div.
San Diego, CA  92152-6147,  USA                          Email: broman@nosc.mil