* builtin time and read and ...
@ 1993-05-21 21:04 Tom Culliton x2278
From: Tom Culliton x2278 @ 1993-05-21 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rc

The last few months has seen the following "wish-list" items discussed:

builtin time			(Malte)
builtin read			(Alan Watson)
flag command			(David J. Fiander)
. searching the path		(David J. Fiander)
new options to whatis		(Chris Siebenmann and me)
\ quoting			(Malte)
comment changes			(Malte)
~ expansion			(Brendan Kehoe, et al.)
list exclusion syntax		(Chris Siebenmann and Paul Haahr)

This list isn't even close to complete, and some reasonable ideas have
been offered, BUT we need to resist the temptation to add "just one more
feature" to rc, lest creeping featurism destroy us all.  Note that I'm
not innocent, having agreed when Chris Siebenmann suggested adding
options to builtin whatis.  (Maybe we all should join "Creeping Features
Anonymous".)

There are lots of things that rc doesn't have, job control, cd spell
checking, mailbox checking, command hashing, zillions of builtins, ...
We need to remember that this was a conscious design decision, and it
was exactly that elegant minimalism which attracted many of us to it.

Tom

only message in thread, other threads:[~1993-05-21 21:14 UTC | newest]