* Re:  builtin time
@ 1993-05-21 19:13 Paul Haahr
From: Paul Haahr @ 1993-05-21 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: malte; +Cc: rc

for just this reason (inability to time builtins, in a shell where
more things look like builtins), we added time to es.

paul

* builtin time
@ 1993-05-21 13:23 malte
From: malte @ 1993-05-21 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rc-owner

I hardly dare to ask for it, but what about a "time" builtin ? I'm well
aware of the existance of /usr/bin/time or whereever it may reside, but
that doesn't allow to measure the time it took a builtin or a function
to complete.

I came across this when I tried to measure the time it takes for several
commands running in parallel,
like

	for( i in *.c ){ cc $i & } ; time wait $apids

which, of course, gives only an approximization. The correct way is

	{ for( i in *.c ){ time cc $i & }} | sed -f filter.script

measure each cc run independently and sum up the outputs.

Any opinions about it ?

Malte