* Re:  umask
@ 1993-05-27  6:47 Paul Haahr
From: Paul Haahr @ 1993-05-27  6:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alan; +Cc: es, rc

> Is there a reason why rc barfs on a umask greater than
> 0777?

probably because we never thought anyone would want one higher than
that and nobody complained before.

changed (i wouldn't really call it fixed) in es-0.9

paul

* umask
@ 1993-05-27  5:31 Alan Watson
From: Alan Watson @ 1993-05-27  5:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rc

What a day.  Is there a reason why rc barfs on a umask greater than
0777?  I have just modifed one of my scripts to protect a temporary
file by doing:

	umask = `{ umask }
	umask 077
	umask $umask

and it now doesn't work properly if I use an escape from vi inside MH,
as MH sets umask to 7177 (quite why I don't know).

sh and sh5 seem to perform a umask (value & 0777), csh and bash give an
error message if the value is > 0777, but ksh goes ahead and does it.