From: Scott Schwartz <schwartz@groucho.cs.psu.edu>
To: culliton@srg.af.mil (Tom Culliton x2278)
Cc: haahr@mv.us.adobe.com, rc@hawkwind.utcs.toronto.edu
Subject: Re: Speed of rc
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 1993 20:38:11 -0400	[thread overview]

Just some random thoughts...

Tom writes:
| I actually spent a fair amount of time once trying to figure out a
| stunt to run co-processes under rc so I can fire up sh (for test), and
| something else to do math, exactly once and then have functions that
| talk to them.  In the end I decided it either couldn't be done or
| wasn't worth the effort.

Yet another defect in Unix, where IPC is so limited that even simple
and obvious things are so painful that no one does them.  Similarly, if
dynamic loading were fundamental and pervasive one could envision
taking any a.out file, mapping it once, and then calling its entry
points.  For example, make the system (OS, language runtime, etc)
understand /bin/sh/glob.  Then the normal execve means calling
/bin/sh/main.

The problem with being spartan is that you end up being stoic.