* Why I want read to be a builtin:
@ 1993-06-15 20:45 Chris Siebenmann
From: Chris Siebenmann @ 1993-06-15 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rc

 read.sh is a 'while read; do : ; done' loop; line.sh is a 'while line
>/dev/null; do :; done' loop.

: hawkwind.utcs ; wc -l foo; time ./read.sh <foo; time ./line.sh <foo
    1000 foo
        0.8 real         0.5 user         0.2 sys
       38.1 real         9.4 user        26.5 sys

 Sometimes 'read' is what you need for something, and when it is, having
to run an external program for it can really kill performance. I'd really
rather write everything in rc, but when read comes up right now, I'm
forced to drop into sh.

	- cks

only message in thread, other threads:[~1993-06-15 20:45 UTC | newest]