From: carvell@cards.com
To: rc@hawkwind.utcs.toronto.edu
Subject: Need help with rc on Linux
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 1995 10:49:00 -0500	[thread overview]

Hello rc users,

I'm having a strange rc problem which I believe is related to my
"port" of rc to Linux.  Briefly, I have a 486 box running Linux 1.1.54
with the rc-1.5betadev-1 distribution of rc.  I compiled rc using the
notes from Jeremy Fitzhardinge from the rc mail archives.  I think I
did get a few compiler warnings, but my rc has always seemed stable
except for this.

The problem is in an rc shell script for a simple WWW chat system. It
is executed from NCSA httpd 1.3. Any time I do something along the
lines of "a=`{some_command}" the script freezes.  It works fine from
the command line, and in a shell script executed from the command
line.  If I pipe some_command to a temp file, then say "a=`{cat
temp}", this often works (but sometimes still freezes).

I'm assuming the problem is in my port to Linux since I've used rc on
my Sun4 at work for two years with no problems whatsoever, and the
same shell script works fine under httpd on the Sun.  When compiling
for Linux I admit

Any information about this problem would be greatly appreciated.  In
particular if you have a solid Linux version of rc, or diffs for one,
or you've done any WWW stuff using rc and Linux, I'd love to hear from
you.

Thanks in advance folks.
Gary

--