From: Chris Siebenmann <cks>
To: rc
Subject: Re: are there any patches which add ~ expansion to rc
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 1997 19:26:21 -0400

 Our local solution is a /u directory (automatically) populated with
symlinks that point to the appropriate places. We've been running it
for years without problems; I can mail people copies of either a sh
or a perl version[*] of the script that maintains /u if desired.

 I've repeatedly found it very handy to have a short name for home
directories that works in every program and situation. And better
yet there's no need to clog up umpteen programs with code to do ~
expansion.

	- cks
[*: yes, I know I was giving in to the evil empire, but I decided I
    needed a decently fast program for the system with circa 10,000
    passwd entries.]