* Announcing rc beta release, rc-1.5b2
@ 1997-07-07 16:22 Tim Goodwin
From: Tim Goodwin @ 1997-07-07 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rc

I am pleased to announce, at long last, the second beta release of
rc-1.5, which I'm calling rc-1.5b2.

    ftp://ftp.pipex.net/people/tim/rc-1.5b2.tar.gz
    ftp://ftp.pipex.net/people/tim/rc-1.5b2.tar

MD5 (rc-1.5b2.tar.gz) = 4acc56de6a5595e4fd3f26c84856e699
MD5 (rc-1.5b2.tar) = 95453647e15018e9f37742dea4594138

The big difference from rc-1.5betadev1 is the use of GNU autoconf.  All
system specifics that rc needs to know about are automatically detected,
and optional features (e.g. omitting the `echo' builtin) can be selected
on the command line when the `configure' script is run.

The looping bug with Solaris's rshd (and anything else that sets SIGCLD
to SIG_IGN before starting rc) has been fixed.

Because of the length of time that has passed since the last release,
I haven't tried too hard to track down all the bugs reported on the
list.  I felt it was more important to get a "baseline" autoconf'd rc
out.  Apologies if this means that a bug you reported hasn't been fixed.
I will endeavour to fix any outstanding bugs as quickly as possible,
so please let me know of any problems you find.  (Reports of successes
would be welcome also.)

Thanks to Byron for his patient guidance.

Thanks also to Rich $alz for sending me the latest version of the
editline library, which you can find in the same directory as the rc
tarball.  (Does anybody have a copy of Tom Duff's UKUUG paper?  The
README advertizes that this is available from the same place as rc
itself...)

Finally, please note that I am changing jobs very shortly.  From 28th
July 1997, my email address will be <tgoodwin@cygnus.co.uk>.

Tim.

* Re: Announcing rc beta release, rc-1.5b2
@ 1997-07-07 23:48 ` Chris Siebenmann
From: Chris Siebenmann @ 1997-07-07 23:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rc

 Tom Duff's UKUUG paper on rc is available on the main rc ftp site, at
ftp.sys.utoronto.ca in /pub/rc; it's called plan9.ps. If people have
things that they want to pop up on the ftp site, send me mail about it
and I'll make it happen.

	- cks