From: Tim Goodwin <tjg@star.le.ac.uk>
To: rc@hawkwind.utcs.utoronto.ca
Subject: Beta release rc-1.6b1
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 08:27:23 -0500	[thread overview]

A new beta release of rc is available, rc-1.6b1.  Details of changes
since rc-1.6 are below; they are minor, and mostly concern portability
to more distant cousins of Unix, such as CygWin and BeOS.

    http://www.star.le.ac.uk/~tjg/rc/beta/rc-1.6b1.tar.gz

Please try this beta on as many wierd and wonderful systems as you can.
Let me know of any problems: my aim is that `sh configure; make' should
produce a working rc on any system sufficiently close to Unix to have
`sh' and `make' :-).

Tim.

1999-08-19

  Portability: the proposed C 9x __va_copy() macro is called that, not
  va_copy(), as I thought.  Furthermore, it is defined to be a macro, so
  we don't need to use autoconf to check for it.

1999-10-11

  Bug: absolute globs don't need special case in doglob().  Avoids
  creating path names like `//tmp', which is a UNC path under CygWin.

1999-10-12

  Portability: status.c assumes traditional Unix layout of 0 and 1 exit
  statuses in the parent, which is not shared by BeOS.  Add mkstatval.c.

1999-10-13

  Bug: a read(2) error in fdgchar() should call rc_raise(), not
  rc_exit().  This bug is easily tickled on systems (like Linux) which
  allow you to open(2) but not read(2) directories: `. /tmp'.  In all
  previous versions of rc, this caused the shell to exit.

  Portability: use POSIX strerror() where it's available; fake it with
  sys_errlist[] where not.

  Feature: replace `-V' with `version' variable.

1999-10-14

  Portability: exporting `path' causes indigestion in CygWin.  Since
  it's virtually impossible for a child `rc' process to inherit `path'
  (which I consider a bug, but it's not going to be fixed now), simply
  don't export `path'.

  Portability: add /usr/bsd to default default path.

  Documentation: failing to search $path for a `.' command is at least
  an incompatibility with Tenth Edition rc, and probably a bug.

1999-11-10

  Feature: make `version' a list.

1999-11-11

  Documentation: when running configure, you need to set LDFLAGS for
  `-L' options, not LIBS.

  Release: rc-1.6b1.