* Development snapshots now available
@ 1998-07-21 16:17 Tim Goodwin
From: Tim Goodwin @ 1998-07-21 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rc

As an experiment, I have started making "snapshots" of the development
version of rc available, so the brave and foolish can play with the
latest code that I am working on.  The aim of this experiment is to make
the next beta release better, and happen sooner.  If the snapshots don't
seem to be helping towards this cause, I will abandon the experiment.

The perceived problem that I'm trying to solve is this.  It's a long
time since I released rc-1.5b2.  A number of problems, some of them
serious, have come to light since that release and been fixed.  However,
I'm not ready to make another beta release yet.

As you would expect, the snapshots come with no guarantees.  Please only
download them if you are interested in working with buggy code.  Please
don't use them to run life support machines, or nuclear power plants.

If you report a bug in rc---snapshot, beta, or full release---you can
expect to receive a reply saying "my fix is in the latest snapshot,
please pick it up and see if it fixes your problem".  I don't intend to
announce every new snapshot to the list: if you want 'em, you know where
to find 'em.

The latest snapshot is here.  As you would expect, subsequent snapshots
will be in the same directory.  If you don't have access to FTP, then
you can't get snapshots.  (Exception: if a snapshot fixes a bug that you
reported, I'll figure out some way to get it to you.)

    ftp://ftp.cygnus.com/pub/tgoodwin/rc/snap/rc-1.5s19980721.tar.gz

Any thoughts, comments, or suggestions are most welcome.

Tim.

* Re: Development snapshots now available
@ 1998-07-21 18:48 ` Tom Culliton
From: Tom Culliton @ 1998-07-21 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Goodwin; +Cc: rc

On Tue, 21 Jul 1998 12:17:08 EDT, Tim Goodwin wrote:
> The perceived problem that I'm trying to solve is this.  It's a long
> time since I released rc-1.5b2.  A number of problems, some of them
> serious, have come to light since that release and been fixed.  However,
> I'm not ready to make another beta release yet.

The last 1.5b3 we were batting around looked pretty good to me.  So
good that I even installed it as my standard version for everyday use.
What kind of outstanding issues are left?  I'll be more than happy to
lend an extra eye on any remaining soft spots.

> Any thoughts, comments, or suggestions are most welcome.

;-) How about, "Keep up the good work!"  Seriously 1.5b3 is looking
great from where I sit.

Tom