* Re:  rc, HP-UX, VUE, and me
@ 1994-11-03  1:55 Rich Salz
From: Rich Salz @ 1994-11-03  1:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gray, rsalz; +Cc: rc-owner, rc

I took a closer look.  I have /bin/csh in /etc/passwd but my .vueprofile
is
#! /bin/sh
exec rc -l $HOME/.xsession-vue

* Re: rc, HP-UX, VUE, and me
@ 1994-11-03 14:19 ` John Robert LoVerso
From: John Robert LoVerso @ 1994-11-03 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rich Salz; +Cc: gray, rc

In message <9411030155.AA04337@sulphur.osf.org> you write:
> I took a closer look.  I have /bin/csh in /etc/passwd but my .vueprofile

One problem with that approach is that you still end up running vuelogin,
which sits around consuming a few Mbs of your swap area.  You are best
off turning it off and just using normal xdm.  With this approach, I
deleted my .vueprofile, which is the best solution!

John

* Re: rc, HP-UX, VUE, and me
@ 1994-11-03 17:26 ` Scott C. Gray
From: Scott C. Gray @ 1994-11-03 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rc-owner, rc

On Wed, 2 Nov 1994, Rich Salz wrote:

> I took a closer look.  I have /bin/csh in /etc/passwd but my .vueprofile
> is
> #! /bin/sh
> exec rc -l $HOME/.xsession-vue

I just gave that a try, however, it still wouldn't let me log in through
vuelogin.  However, this time it at least gets to the copyright screen,
then it goes blank and kicks me back out to vuelogin.

Just to make sure, I placed "echo start >> /tmp/rc.test" at the beginning
of my .rcrc, and "echo done >> /tmp/rc.test" at the end of it.  My .rcrc
is getting succesfully run, but somewhere after that, things are choking
up.  I have also made sure that I set SHELL=/bin/RC (I have a hard link
between RC and rc), so that sh won't think that it is being called from a
restricted shell.

Any *more* suggestions? (*sigh* -- I miss rc)

Thanks,
-scott

* rc, HP-UX, VUE, and me
@ 1994-11-02 21:06 ` Scott C. Gray
From: Scott C. Gray @ 1994-11-02 21:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rich Salz; +Cc: rc-owner, rc

On Wed, 2 Nov 1994, Rich Salz wrote:

> The HP is very very stupid.  If there is an "r" anywhewre in the shell
> name then it gets treated as restricted.  For this reason, I have
> 	ln /bin/rc /bin/p9sh
> and run p9sh as my login shell.
>
> (Actually I threw out vuew altogether; my .vueprofile just
> exec's my .xsession)

Yeah, I already got feedback about the 'r' from somewhat else.  Changing
the name of rc fixes the problem with 'man', but I still can't log into
VUE.  It just sits there for about 10 seconds with a blank screen and
kicks me back into the login.

Any other suggestions?

-scott

P.S. Sorry about the old subject line--I was using an old piece of mail to
get the e-mail address for the group, and I forgot to change the subject
line.