From: woods@most.weird.com (Greg A. Woods)
To: Bengt.Kleberg@ms.uab.ericsson.se (Bengt Kleberg)
Cc: rc@hawkwind.utcs.toronto.edu
Subject: Re: RC => POSIX
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 1997 20:45:47 -0500	[thread overview]

[ On Thu, March 6, 1997 at 05:16:15 (-0500), Bengt Kleberg wrote: ]
> Subject: RC => POSIX
>
> What if we wrote rc to posix (or UNIX(tm) if posix isn't enough) and
> removed as much of the #ifdef's as possible. Then, on systems without
> posix support, we could  create a posix library for that operating
> system. Only covering the missing posix calls that rc uses, ofcourse.

It would be far more productive and result in a far more portable
product to integrate GNU Autoconf et al and didn't I just see a note
about es being autoconf'ed pass by here earlier?  Taking the autoconf
support from es should be trivial, esp. to any rc-internals programmer
with any experience using autoconf.

The GNU Autoconf philosophy is similar in some ways to what you suggest,
esp. in that autoconf'ed packages usually provide a compatability
library for those system functions the software uses but which are not
always available on all systems.  However the autoconf style isn't
anywhere nearly so restrictive as porting directly to plain POSIX would
be.

(BTW, w.r.t. the GNU readline signal problems, my adivce is don't use
GNU readline -- it isn't very good at what it does, is far too big, and
is very difficult to integrate into a program that tries to do job
control.  There were other command-line editing libraries for rc long
ago, and there are other new ones too that might be tried.  I've had
good luck with the command-line editing support in pdksh and it seems to
integrate well with a shell, and it supports both vi and emacs modes.)

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 443-1734			VE3TCP			robohack!woods