sam-fans - fans of the sam editor
From: John (Most modern computers would break if you stood on them) Mackin <john@ civil.su.oz.au>
To: Sam Fans <sam-fans@hawkwind.utcs.toronto.edu>
Subject: Rumours of my net.death (somewhat) exaggerated :)
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1993 09:41:05 -0400	[thread overview]

I wanted to post a few clarifications regarding Arnold's recent
message about the gwm stuff that I've worked on.  Most of what he
says is quite correct; I just want to set the record straight
on some minor points.

First off, thanks to Arnold for his positive comments, and for
being interested in trying out the code.  I'm very pleased that
he likes it and continues to use it.

    John Mackin (now no longer on the net, I believe)

Well, I'm still (barely) here.  A little.  For another couple of
weeks...  When I have really left, I will still be mailable at
<john@physiol.su.oz.au>, although I will eventually cut down
to reading that only now and then and consequently I will be
leaving all the lists that I'm on...  but I haven't quite done
that yet.

    John Mackin ... put together a window manager that looks very
    ``blit'' like.  He did this using gwm (the generic window manager)

Credits department: I did all the initial work on this stuff, but
its further development and design was done in collaboration with
David Hogan.  Some of the newer parts (e.g., icon menus) are purely
David's.  Noel Hunt used the code for a long time and helped get
bugs out of it.

    ANYWAY, ``can you get this?''  The answer is yes. As of today, it could
    still be ftp'ed from the root directory of ftp.civil.su.oz.au, in the
    file gwm-dist.tar.

I won't remove this.  I should update it but probably won't get time.

    9wm exists, but it is apparently in rather ``alpha'' shape at the moment.

David wrote this from the ground up.  He hasn't worked on it in a while.
It's not 100% solid and is fairly incomplete, ICCC-wise, although the
basic core WM is there.

Good luck, people.  Drop me a note if you like the gwm stuff.

OK,
John.