sam-fans - fans of the sam editor
* Re: samx2 and sam 3/12/93
@ 1994-08-18  6:40 Werner Lemberg
From: Werner Lemberg @ 1994-08-18  6:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sam-fans

What is samx2 and where can I find it ?

Another question: Has anybody ported sam(term) to Linux? After some tries
I succeeded in porting, but I'm not familiar with UNIX programming, and
indeed I really don't know exactly what I've done :-)

    Werner

* Re: samx2 and sam 3/12/93
@ 1994-08-18 17:46 ` Norman Ramsey
From: Norman Ramsey @ 1994-08-18 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Werner Lemberg; +Cc: sam-fans

> Another question: Has anybody ported sam(term) to Linux? After some tries
> I succeeded in porting, but I'm not familiar with UNIX programming, and
> indeed I really don't know exactly what I've done :-)

I had no trouble compiling the current ATT&T sam distribution for
linux.  I used the default makefiles with -DLINUX -ansi -D_POSIX_SOURCE.
I didn't have to touch and code.

* Re: samx2 and sam 3/12/93
@ 1994-08-18 13:01   ` Mark C. Chu-Carroll
From: Mark C. Chu-Carroll @ 1994-08-18 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

I also compiled Sam for Linux starting from the Solaris
makefiles. Even with the samx2 extensions, it compiled cleanly, and
works like a charm.

	<MC>

* Re: samx2 and sam 3/12/93
@ 1994-08-18 10:34 ` Markus Friedl (CIP 92)
From: Markus Friedl (CIP 92) @ 1994-08-18 10:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

> >Another question: Has anybody ported sam(term) to Linux? After some tries
> >I succeeded in porting, but I'm not familiar with UNIX programming, and
> >indeed I really don't know exactly what I've done :-)
>
> Yes -- I have done a working port, but there's still one minor problem with
> named pipes that means I have to start sam up in a slightly nonstandard way!
> I started from the defines for IRIX -- the Silicon Graphics OS is one of the
> closest to POSIX and therefore Linux that I've ever come across -- and fixed
> it on that basis.
>
> I think the startup bug is probably due to the interaction of some of the
> patches I have in my sam; I'll investigate further. Basically, I have to
> chuck a carriage return down the named pipe before Sam will do anything...
> however, from then on it's perfect!

which version of sam are you using ?? i tried the october-93 version (4.1)
(w/o patches) and started from the Solaris Makefiles. all works fine.

cu
--markus

ps: BTW: you may ftp my makefiles from
         ftp://131.188.190.131/pub/unix/sam/Make.linux.shar

--
Markus Friedl
msfriedl@cip.informatik.uni-erlangen.de

* Re: samx2 and sam 3/12/93
@ 1994-08-18  9:21 Pete Fenelon
From: Pete Fenelon @ 1994-08-18  9:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Werner Lemberg; +Cc: sam-fans

>What is samx2 and where can I find it ?

Samx2 is a set of patches which give some keyboard customisation facilities
to sam. The author is at uiuc.edu, but I can't remember the ftp site where
the patch lives; if the worst comes to the worst I could mail you a copy.

>Another question: Has anybody ported sam(term) to Linux? After some tries
>I succeeded in porting, but I'm not familiar with UNIX programming, and
>indeed I really don't know exactly what I've done :-)

Yes -- I have done a working port, but there's still one minor problem with
named pipes that means I have to start sam up in a slightly nonstandard way!
I started from the defines for IRIX -- the Silicon Graphics OS is one of the
closest to POSIX and therefore Linux that I've ever come across -- and fixed
it on that basis.

I think the startup bug is probably due to the interaction of some of the
patches I have in my sam; I'll investigate further. Basically, I have to
chuck a carriage return down the named pipe before Sam will do anything...
however, from then on it's perfect!

pete
--
Peter Fenelon - Research Associate - High Integrity Systems Engineering Group,
Dept. of Computer Science, University of York, York, YO1 5DD (+44/0)904 433388

* samx2 and sam 3/12/93
@ 1994-08-17 14:43 hc05
From: hc05 @ 1994-08-17 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have been happily using sam with the samx2 extensions.  One problem,
though, keeps me from recommending it to others.  It dies periodically,
scaring off the fainthearted.  I have the October 1993 version of sam,
which the patches don't support, and with good reason since they
produce 4 reject files in libXg.  My question is can I get the 3/12/93
version of sam anywhere, or has anyone reconciled samx2 with the
October version of sam?

Beirne

Beirne Konarski                 | Reading maketh a full man, conference a
beirnek@summitis.com            | ready man, and writing an exact man.
"Untouched by Scandal"          |       -- Francis Bacon