sam-fans - fans of the sam editor
From: Scott Schwartz <schwartz@bio.cse.psu.edu>
To: "Mark H. Wilkinson" <mhw@kremvax.demon.co.uk>
Cc: Sam Fans <sam-fans@hawkwind.utcs.toronto.edu>,
	Bengt Kleberg <bengt@softwell.se>
Subject: Re: 9libs, new sam release, experimental wily release
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 20:10:04 -0400	[thread overview]

"Mark H. Wilkinson" <mhw@kremvax.demon.co.uk> writes:
| >   * In libXg, "fontfile" is specified by the X client app.  In general
| >     that cannot work: unlike in Plan 9, the X terminal usually won't
| >     share any filesystem with the machine on which the X app is
| >     running, so *no* filename can be valid for "-p9font".  The fix is
| >     to store the unicode font map in an X property which is set by your
| >     xinitrc.
|
| By this, do you mean the case where you're logging into remote machines
| and running sam & samterm on the remote machine?

Yes.

| ... but I guess you're after a
| solution which is easier to manage, using the X server as shared storage.

Yup.

| That sounds reasonable, but I'd like to retain the existing mechanism
| too: it works well in networks where the file system is common to all
| machines to some degree.

Of course.  The patch does that.  It checks to see if the fontfile
starts with '.' or '/', and if so, reads that file.  Otherwise it
treats it as the literal contents of the font file. In either case, as
before, it falls back to using a literal X font name if the previous
steps don't resolve to a font file.

| That would be great!

I'll have them ready soon.  I got diverted hacking on 9term today.