sam-fans - fans of the sam editor
From: Byron Rakitzis <byron@rakitzis.com>
To: jim.robinson@stanford.edu
Cc: sam-fans@hawkwind.utcs.toronto.edu
Subject: Re: shorter struct regex?
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 19:05:47 -0500	[thread overview]

> public Hashtable return()
> throws MissingRequiredValueException
> {
> 	String[] req =
> 	{
> 		"order-id", "amount"
> 	};
>
> 	String[] opt =
> 	{
> 		"card-number", "card-exp", "card-name", "card-address", "card-city",
> 		"card-zip"
> 	};
> 	return processRequest("return", req, opt);
> }
>
> I wanted to expand the elements of the arrays to one per line. This is
> what I used:
>
> ,x/{\n([^}]+\n)+	}/x/, +[^\n]/x/ +/c/\n		/
>
> Is there way I could of done this with less work?
>

> Jim

Jim,

One of my favorite tricks is a pipe to fmt. Fmt will preserve leading
whitespace (well, it can be trickier than that since fmt tries to do
pharagraph indentation as well). To force one-column output, you only
need to do "fmt -1", which strictly speaking denotes one-CHARACTER output,
but fmt does the right thing.

So:

 		"card-number", "card-exp", "card-name", "card-address", "card-city",
 		"card-zip"

piped through "fmt -1" gives (at least on this linux machine):

		"card-number",
		"card-exp",
		"card-name",
		"card-address",
		"card-city",
		"card-zip"

Of course, you still have the problem about selecting the braced-in
regions without using the mouse. Perhaps another out-of-the-box approach
is to pipe your entire code through a C beautifier. "indent" has so
many options, I would be surprised if array initializers one-per-line
was not one of them.

Byron.