sam-fans - fans of the sam editor
From: "James A. Robinson" <jim.robinson@stanford.edu>
To: "sam Fans" <sam-fans@hawkwind.utcs.toronto.edu>
Subject: Re: the obvious. =)
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2000 22:35:10 -0500	[thread overview]

> # Do these guys: &, <, > :
> [,x/&|<|>/{
>  g/&/c/&amp;/
>  g/</c/&lt;/
>  g/>/c/&gt;/
> }]
>
> where double clicking inside the last [bracket] backhilites this
> section (but not the [ ] brackets), snarf it, click in the text
> file, sam it, and send it. Bang, end of story.

That's a pretty good idea. Coming off of using wily (an Acme clone),
one of the things I thought about doing was writing a set of guide
files for sam.  It's really too bad one can't have a real acme clone
(with the same neat file handling) with a sam command window! =)

> # BOLD FACE DOT:
> [s/./<b>&/
>  a/<\/b>/ ]

Since you have dot selected, why not just [s/.+/<b>&<\/b>/]?

> If you're at the EOF when you dot-out of text entry, it's easy to
> get back; otherwise one can type e.g. zz, then dot out, make the
> correction, and get right back to zz and continue on.

Is there any vi influance here (zz)? =)  I'm wondering if you really
enter most of your text via the command window? I'd find it hard to go
back and hunt down previous commands from the scroll-back.

Does anyone have a nice make system in place to use from sam, or perhaps
etags support?  I'm thinking of writing up a make script that will
dump the results to an ERRORS file and open it up using sam's pipe.
If it exists one could send 'e ERRORS' and stuff as well, I suppose.

Jim

P.S.
In case folks are interested, here is a diff of changes I had
to make against sam.1 in order to read the man page on my Linux
box (the original works fine under Solaris, but linux's groff
barfs on it).

*** sam.1.orig	Wed Mar 22 12:36:06 2000
--- sam.1	Wed Mar 22 12:39:24 2000
***************
*** 20,26 ****
  .de TF
  .br
  .IP "" \w'\fB\\$1\ \ \fP'u
! .PD0
  ..
  .de EX
  .CW
--- 20,26 ----
  .de TF
  .br
  .IP "" \w'\fB\\$1\ \ \fP'u
! .PD
  ..
  .de EX
  .CW
***************
*** 71,77 ****
  the editor's file until it first becomes the current file\(emthat to
  which editing commands apply\(emwhereupon its menu entry is printed.
  The options are
! .TF "\-r machine  "
  .TP
  .B \-d
  Do not download the terminal part of
--- 71,77 ----
  the editor's file until it first becomes the current file\(emthat to
  which editing commands apply\(emwhereupon its menu entry is printed.
  The options are
! .TF
  .TP
  .B \-d
  Do not download the terminal part of
***************
*** 105,111 ****
  to represent newlines.
  A regular expression may never contain a literal newline character.
  The elements of regular expressions are:
! .TF "[^abc]   "
  .TP
  .B .
  Match any character except newline.
--- 105,111 ----
  to represent newlines.
  A regular expression may never contain a literal newline character.
  The elements of regular expressions are:
! .TF
  .TP
  .B .
  Match any character except newline.
***************
*** 145,151 ****
  and
  .I r2
  are regular expressions.
! .TF "r1|r2   "
  .TP
  .BI ( r1 )
  Match what
--- 145,151 ----
  and
  .I r2
  are regular expressions.
! .TF
  .TP
  .BI ( r1 )
  Match what
***************
*** 210,216 ****
  All files always have a current substring, called dot,
  that is the default address.
  .SS Simple Addresses
! .TF ?regexp?
  .TP
  .BI # n
  The empty string after character
--- 210,216 ----
  All files always have a current substring, called dot,
  that is the default address.
  .SS Simple Addresses
! .TF
  .TP
  .BI # n
  The empty string after character
***************
*** 223,229 ****
  .IR n .
  .TP
  .BI  / regexp /
! .PD0
  .TP
  .BI ? regexp ?
  The substring that matches the regular expression,
--- 223,229 ----
  .IR n .
  .TP
  .BI  / regexp /
! .PD
  .TP
  .BI ? regexp ?
  The substring that matches the regular expression,
***************
*** 272,278 ****
  and
  .I a2
  are addresses.
! .TF "a1+a2   "
  .TP
  .IB a1 + a2
  The address
--- 272,278 ----
  and
  .I a2
  are addresses.
! .TF
  .TP
  .IB a1 + a2
  The address
***************
*** 413,419 ****
  .br
  .ne 1.2i
  .SS Text commands
! .PD0
  .TP
  .BI a/ text /
  .TP
--- 413,419 ----
  .br
  .ne 1.2i
  .SS Text commands
! .PD
  .TP
  .BI a/ text /
  .TP
***************
*** 526,532 ****
  Print a menu of files.
  The format is:
  .RS
! .TF "XorXblankXX"
  .TP
  .BR ' " or blank"
  indicating the file is modified or clean,
--- 526,532 ----
  Print a menu of files.
  The format is:
  .RS
! .TF
  .TP
  .BR ' " or blank"
  indicating the file is modified or clean,
***************
*** 791,797 ****
  provides the following operators, each of which uses one or
  more cursors to prompt for selection of a window or sweeping
  of a rectangle.
! .TF "reshape "
  .TP
  .B new
  Create a new, empty file:
--- 791,797 ----
  provides the following operators, each of which uses one or
  more cursors to prompt for selection of a window or sweeping
  of a rectangle.
! .TF
  .TP
  .B new
  Create a new, empty file:
*** 873,879 ****
  quoted strings or bracketed strings, depending on the text at the click.
  .PP
  Button 2 provides a menu of editing commands:
! .TF "/regexp"
  .TP
  .B cut
  Delete dot and save the deleted text in the snarf buffer.