sam-fans - fans of the sam editor
* wily-9libs and sam-9libs on 24-bit Linux display
@ 2000-04-17 14:58 Jim Crigler
From: Jim Crigler @ 2000-04-17 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sam Fans, Wily Fans

Before I delve into the particulars, is does anyone know in advance why
wily-9libson a 24-bit Linux display works fine (modulo I can't use the capslock
key), while sam-9libs (samterm, actually) balks?  They were built in the same
9libs hierarchy at the same time.
--
Jim Crigler

http://invites.yahoo.com

* Re: wily-9libs and sam-9libs on 24-bit Linux display
@ 2000-05-08 22:22 ` Mark H. Wilkinson
From: Mark H. Wilkinson @ 2000-05-08 22:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jim Crigler; +Cc: Sam Fans, Wily Fans

Jim Crigler wrote:

> Before I delve into the particulars, is does anyone know in advance why
> wily-9libson a 24-bit Linux display works fine (modulo I can't use the capslock
> key), while sam-9libs (samterm, actually) balks?  They were built in the same
> 9libs hierarchy at the same time.

Probably because sam allocates new bitmaps for things like pop-up menus while wily
doesn't (not having menus) - if you run the libXg test program does it crash when
it gets to the menu test on the same display?

libXg just doesn't work with some bitmap depths, notably 15bpp. However, I thought
it worked Ok on 24bpp displays so I'd like to dig a bit more to find out what's
going on.

-Mark.

* Re: wily-9libs and sam-9libs on 24-bit Linux display
@ 2000-05-08 23:16   ` Ed Kubaitis
From: Ed Kubaitis @ 2000-05-08 23:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sam Fans; +Cc: Wily Fans

"Mark H. Wilkinson" wrote:

> Jim Crigler wrote:
>
> > Before I delve into the particulars, is does anyone know in advance why
> > wily-9libson a 24-bit Linux display works fine (modulo I can't use the capslock
> > key), while sam-9libs (samterm, actually) balks?  They were built in the same
> > 9libs hierarchy at the same time.
>
> Probably because sam allocates new bitmaps for things like pop-up menus while wily
> doesn't (not having menus) - if you run the libXg test program does it crash when
> it gets to the menu test on the same display?
>
> libXg just doesn't work with some bitmap depths, notably 15bpp. However, I thought
> it worked Ok on 24bpp displays so I'd like to dig a bit more to find out what's
> going on.
>
> -Mark.

FWIW, on RH Linux 6.2 recently, I had to backoff 24bpp to 16 to make an
ancient (circa 1993-4) version of libXg/samterm functional.

--------------------------
Ed Kubaitis (ejk@uiuc.edu)
CCSO - University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

* Re: wily-9libs and sam-9libs on 24-bit Linux display
@ 2000-09-24 20:30     ` Bill Meahan
From: Bill Meahan @ 2000-09-24 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wily Fans; +Cc: Sam Fans

On Mon, May 08, 2000 at 06:16:50PM -0500, Ed Kubaitis wrote:
> "Mark H. Wilkinson" wrote:
[snip]
> FWIW, on RH Linux 6.2 recently, I had to backoff 24bpp to 16 to make an
> ancient (circa 1993-4) version of libXg/samterm functional.

Sory for the reply to such an old message but I've recently hit this
myself.

Looking at the code for 9libs, I find a lot of places where the
number of colors is hard-coded at 256 (8-bit depth). I changed these
to 65536 for an experiment,as well as reducing my colordepth to
16-bit, but no joy. Things die where the color map is being read via
the X function. Not being an X programmer, I'm now stuck.

System is Mandrake 7.1 with XFree86 3.3.6

Suggestions or fixes?

Thanks!
--
73 de Bill Meahan WA8TZG    wmeahan@wa8tzg.org
Home for Orphan Hand Tools & Boatanchors (esp. Collins)