sam-fans - fans of the sam editor
From: Bill Meahan <wwm@wa8tzg.org>
To: Wily Fans <wilyfans@jli.com>
Cc: Sam Fans <sam-fans@hawkwind.utcs.toronto.edu>
Subject: Re: wily-9libs and sam-9libs on 24-bit Linux display
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2000 15:30:35 -0500	[thread overview]

On Mon, May 08, 2000 at 06:16:50PM -0500, Ed Kubaitis wrote:
> "Mark H. Wilkinson" wrote:
[snip]
> FWIW, on RH Linux 6.2 recently, I had to backoff 24bpp to 16 to make an
> ancient (circa 1993-4) version of libXg/samterm functional.

Sory for the reply to such an old message but I've recently hit this
myself.

Looking at the code for 9libs, I find a lot of places where the
number of colors is hard-coded at 256 (8-bit depth). I changed these
to 65536 for an experiment,as well as reducing my colordepth to
16-bit, but no joy. Things die where the color map is being read via
the X function. Not being an X programmer, I'm now stuck.

System is Mandrake 7.1 with XFree86 3.3.6

Suggestions or fixes?

Thanks!
--
73 de Bill Meahan WA8TZG    wmeahan@wa8tzg.org
Home for Orphan Hand Tools & Boatanchors (esp. Collins)