sam-fans - fans of the sam editor
* sam for 95/nt
@ 1997-02-17 16:26 Pete Fenelon
From: Pete Fenelon @ 1997-02-17 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sam-fans

In summary -- a lovely piece of work. Just what we've all been waiting for.

One minor caveat, though -- under 95 (don't know about NT) it adopts the
Unix-y (and indeed right-thinking) LF as newline.... which means it's not
ideal for editing Windows text files which use CR/LF -- (A) it shows the CR
half of CR/LF as a CR character and (B) it makes it a tad tricky to use
files produced with Sam with utilities that aren't wise to the rest of the
world's conventions on newline...

I suppose this is the *logically* correct behaviour, but to push Sam as an
editor which the Windows-user community will use, perhaps it should do the
wrong but  *visually* sensible thing :)

Thoughts -- would it be difficult to bodge sam to treat CR/LF as one rune
under Windows?

pete
--
Pete Fenelon, Infocom UK Ltd. pete.fenelon@info-com.com

* Re: sam for 95/nt
@ 1997-11-17 15:58 ` Michael K. Rosenberg
From: Michael K. Rosenberg @ 1997-11-17 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pete Fenelon; +Cc: sam-fans

has anyone dealt with this problem? in my opinion, the best
solution would be that sam on nt writes a cr/lf when you hit
return, and does not show the cr character. this makes
the files different from ones created on unix systems, but,
makes them consistent with all other text files and text utilities
on nt, such as printing utilities. i guess this is what pete meant
in his suggestion below.

i'm keeping my fingers crossed that there is a better nt version
of sam out there somewhere....otherwise, i think i'm going to be
stuck with notepad.

mike

Pete Fenelon wrote:

> One minor caveat, though -- under 95 (don't know about NT) it adopts the
> Unix-y (and indeed right-thinking) LF as newline.... which means it's not
> ideal for editing Windows text files which use CR/LF -- (A) it shows the CR
> half of CR/LF as a CR character and (B) it makes it a tad tricky to use
> files produced with Sam with utilities that aren't wise to the rest of the
> world's conventions on newline...
>
> I suppose this is the *logically* correct behaviour, but to push Sam as an
> editor which the Windows-user community will use, perhaps it should do the
> wrong but  *visually* sensible thing :)
>
> Thoughts -- would it be difficult to bodge sam to treat CR/LF as one rune
> under Windows?

* re: sam for 95/nt
@ 1997-02-18  4:02 arnold
From: arnold @ 1997-02-18  4:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sam-fans

> (I haven't figured out how to type a CR, and just copy them from other
> text files).

Control-m works just fine for me under Unix. Haven't tried the NT
version yet.

Arnold Robbins -- The Basement Computer		| Laundry increases
Internet: arnold@gnu.ai.mit.edu			| exponentially in the
UUCP:	dragon!skeeve!arnold			| number of children.
Bitnet:	Forget it. Get on a real network.	|    -- Miriam Robbins

* re: sam for 95/nt
@ 1997-02-17 17:15 Pete Fenelon
From: Pete Fenelon @ 1997-02-17 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: quanstro; +Cc: sam-fans

At 12:01 17/02/97 -0500, you wrote:
>>(I haven't figured out how to type a CR, and just copy them from other
text files).

><compose> X000d
>
>where <compose> is usually the <alt> key. i don't know if this works on
the win{nt,95}
>version

ALT-nnn (using the numeric keypad keys) is the way of entering characters
by code under Windows. ALT-013 duplicates the effects of the RETURN key,
however, and for some odd reason ALT-010 inserts the C/R character -- not
quite what I'd expect!

Strange but true :)

pete
--
Pete Fenelon, 39 Broadway, Fulford, York, YO1 4JP Tel: +44 1904 670334
pete.fenelon@zetnet.co.uk "I could tell you, but only at consultancy rates".

* re: sam for 95/nt
@ 1997-02-17 17:01 erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 1997-02-17 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sam-fans

@ 1997-02-17 16:54 rsc
From: rsc @ 1997-02-17 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pete.fenelon, sam-fans

    One minor caveat, though -- under 95 (don't know about NT) it adopts the
    Unix-y (and indeed right-thinking) LF as newline.... which means it's not
    ideal for editing Windows text files which use CR/LF -- (A) it shows the CR
    half of CR/LF as a CR character and (B) it makes it a tad tricky to use
    files produced with Sam with utilities that aren't wise to the rest of the
    world's conventions on newline...

Making a file with the commands
,s/<CR>//g
,s/$/<CR>/g

is helpful, the sam equivalent of /acme/edit/guide.
(I haven't figured out how to type a CR, and just copy them
from other text files).  Another way to add CR's is to open
and close the file in MS-DOS Edit.

One thing that would be very nice is if Shift-Right Button
brought up the middle button menu (cut-paste-etc.), as it
does in Plan 9.

Russ

* RE: sam for 95/nt
@ 1997-02-17 16:35 Nigel Roles
From: Nigel Roles @ 1997-02-17 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'sam-fans@hawkwind.utcs.toronto.edu'

I modified the UNIX version to do CRLF translation, N space indentation,
and tab to space conversion to observe our company coding standard. Not
difficult.

Nigel Roles, Symbionics Ltd..