sam-fans - fans of the sam editor
From: byron@netapp.com (Byron Rakitzis)
To: john@civil.su.oz.au, sam-fans@hawkwind.utcs.toronto.edu
Subject: Re: saved replacement texts?
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1992 00:18:33 -0500	[thread overview]

>How about cutting me some slack, Byron?

I got hot because you called Scott's idea "stupid". If you are going to
call something stupid, you should probably know what you're doing
first.  On this side of the Pacific, those are strong words.

>What I think would be appropriate would be for people who've just started
>using the editor since it's been available free to accumulate four years
>worth of experience with it before leaping to suggest how it should be
>improved.

I've used sam here and there for about that long. I have a pretty
good idea of how it works, and I also have a pretty good idea of what
I want.

>It would also be as well to remember that sam's interface was designed
>to integrate nicely with its surrounding window system environment, viz.
>mux on the Jerq.

I am baffled by one point regarding sam: why is it that it must implement
its own mini-window system internally? I agree that it "integrates" well
with mux: by imitating it! Unfortunately this means that sam is a misfit
in just about any other environment.

(For comparision, check out the NeXT editor. It is a multi-file editor
(no command language to speak of though) that opens a separate window
for each file.)