sam-fans - fans of the sam editor
* Re: sam + ptys, anyone?
@ 1994-01-24 16:41 Steve_Kilbane
From: Steve_Kilbane @ 1994-01-24 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sam-fans

i've often wondered about this, but the 'emacs-ism' of it all has put me
off. plus, of course, it would complicate sam no end, i suspect. i think
a better way to do it would be to just get Help (or whatever rob's latest
GUI was). Kind of layer shell, terminal driver, editor, window system and
sam system, so that it takes the capability into account, rather than it
being kludged in.

Of course, if you can do it in a 10-line patch, i'll use it. :-)

steve

* Re: sam + ptys, anyone?
@ 1994-01-24 17:14 ` Peter Huang
From: Peter Huang @ 1994-01-24 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve_Kilbane; +Cc: sam-fans

> i've often wondered about this, but the 'emacs-ism' of it all has put me
> off. plus, of course, it would complicate sam no end, i suspect. i think

Did you look at samkey patch? I agree it is very hard to break out
of 'emacs-ism'.  I'm using sam to write this mail, however, I patched
with samkey so I can bind ctrl-a to dotbol (for the simple
reason that I don't want to lift my hand off keyboard to use
the mouse to correct a mistake.)  I also have a emacs(lucid) running
to do source code viewing.  I like sam a lot and use it everyday,
however, it is not a one for all editor.

	Peter Huang 		HP Response Center Lab
	Phone: (415)691-3417  	Email: huangp@mayfield.HP.COM
	100 Mayfield Avenue, MS 37MA, Mountain View, CA 94043

* sam + ptys, anyone?
@ 1994-01-24 14:37 Arnold Robbins
From: Arnold Robbins @ 1994-01-24 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sam-fans

I hope this idea doesn't strike anyone as too bizarre.

I've been using sam and 9term almost exclusively for about a year now.
In 9term, I often find myself wanting to highlight some text, make a
global substitution on it, or otherwise munge it like I might from the
sam command window, and then paste it back into the intput.

Has anyone looked at what it might take to turn a sam window into one that
can drive a pty?  Sort of a merger of sam & 9term.

This is undoubtedly like emacs with its shell windows (although I've never
used emacs, just read a bit about it), and thus it smacks of creeping
featurism, non-minimalism etc.  On the other hand, it is also a logical
extension of the current ability to manually edit text in a "shell window"
and then resubmit it.

Anyway, this is just sort of strawman to stimulate discussion.  I'm willing
to be convinced it's a bad idea; I'm also willing to be called "brilliant",
"visionary", etc. (:-)

Thanks,

Arnold