sam-fans - fans of the sam editor
* setting x resources
@ 1994-02-10 10:13 Steve_Kilbane
From: Steve_Kilbane @ 1994-02-10 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sam-fans

this is a X question really, but sam's the application it applies most to.

running sam on solaris 2.3, whenever i run sam locally, the window's size
is defined by /usr/openwin/lib/app-defaults/Sam. fine. when i set DISPLAY
and run it remotely, it ignores such settings, and comes up full-size.
is there any way to persuade an X application to use the defaults from the
X server's machine?

steve

* Re: setting x resources
@ 1994-02-10 17:38 ` Peter Huang
From: Peter Huang @ 1994-02-10 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve_Kilbane; +Cc: sam-fans

> this is a X question really, but sam's the application it applies most to.
>
> running sam on solaris 2.3, whenever i run sam locally, the window's size
> is defined by /usr/openwin/lib/app-defaults/Sam. fine. when i set DISPLAY
> and run it remotely, it ignores such settings, and comes up full-size.
> is there any way to persuade an X application to use the defaults from the
> X server's machine?

The app-defaults stuff is used per client basis, i.e. when you start
a client, it will look at app-defaults for resource hints.   To have
uniform client resource whereever you log on, you need to load those
resource hints into Xserver, this can be done by using 'xrdb -merge Sam'.
look at xrdb man page for details.

        Peter Huang             HP Response Center Lab
        Phone: (415)691-3417    Email: huangp@mayfield.HP.COM
        100 Mayfield Avenue, MS 37MA, Moutain View, CA 94043

DISCLAIMER: this message is the my personal opinion and does not
constitute the support, opinion or policy of Hewlett-Packard.