sam-fans - fans of the sam editor
* sam or tk bug?
@ 1995-03-08 17:30 Castor Fu
From: Castor Fu @ 1995-03-08 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sam-fans

I've started using sam on RS 6000's recently and have been getting
the following error relatively often (3 times in the past two days):

	Xlib:  sequence lost (0x10006 > 0xfcb) in reply type 0x0!
	X Error of failed request:  0
	  Major opcode of failed request:  0 ()
	  Serial number of failed request:  6

Then samterm exits.  Has anyone seen this before?

I think this might be connected with a Tk tool which I hacked together.
It provides some of the functionality of emacs's M-x compile, by
searching the results of a 'make' for errors, and sending in sam
commands through the named pipe.  It also has hooks for the AT&T Toolchest
'cscope' program, to provide source browsing capability.

To make it more useful, it would be nice to have easier X selection
features in 'sam'.  I think there were some chording patches a while back.
Maybe those would be most appropriate?  I guess I'll have to dig through the
archives.

	-castor

* Re: sam or tk bug?
@ 1995-03-08 18:21 ` DaviD W. Sanderson
From: DaviD W. Sanderson @ 1995-03-08 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Castor Fu; +Cc: sam-fans

Castor Fu <castor@drizzle.Stanford.EDU> wrote:
# I've started using sam on RS 6000's recently and have been getting
# the following error relatively often (3 times in the past two days):
#
# 	Xlib:  sequence lost (0x10006 > 0xfcb) in reply type 0x0!

This is probably a bug in your X server.  We encountered it when we
upgraded to AIX 3.2.5.  There is a patch available from IBM.  Here is an
extract of some instructions we sent our customers:

	McIDAS-X sites using IBM RISC System/6000 workstations running
	AIX version 3.2.5 may elect to apply the IBM Program Temporary
	Fix (PTF) U425811 or U424375 to lpp package X11rte.obj.1.2.3.
	The lpp correction package U425811 replaces package U424375.
	[...] Users may see the problem at random intervals.  When it
	occurs, an error message similar to the one shown below is
	displayed.

 	Xlib:  sequence lost (0x10000 > 0x103) in reply type 0x0!

You can tell if you have the U425811 or U424375 PTF installed by doing

	lslpp -h -c | egrep 'U425811|U424375'

It should print out something like

/usr/lib/objrepos:X11rte.obj:U425811:01.02.0003.0000:COMPLETE:APPLY:07/14/94:08;31;11:root
/etc/objrepos:X11rte.obj:U425811:01.02.0003.0000:COMPLETE:APPLY:07/14/94:08;37;37:root

DaviD W. Sanderson                                    dws@ssec.wisc.edu
Space Science and Engineering Center    University of Wisconsin-Madison
"The Noah Webster of smileys"    - The Wall Street Journal, 15 Sep 1992

* Re: sam or tk bug?
@ 1995-03-09  0:50 ` Michael F. Ledwidge
From: Michael F. Ledwidge @ 1995-03-09  0:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 8 Mar 1995 hc05@summitis.com wrote:

> >Then samterm exits.  Has anyone seen this before?
>
> I used to get a lot of X errors like this in sam on the RS/6000, but I
> don' anymore.  I never figured out for sure why, but I think getting
> X11R5 helped me (we were on X11 R4 for a long time).  In any case, I
> can't remember the last time it died on me.  It could be a sam version
> issue too.  Unfortunately I don't know how to tell what version I have.  I
> think it is the one before the recent release, with the samx2 patches added
> in.

Where is the latest release kept? Our RS6000 binary has always being shaky
and it has a lot of trouble with
spurious control characters. Actually, just checking, we're still using
Version 3. Pointers please!

Thanx,
	.M.

 					Michael Ledwidge
					National Library of Australia

* sam or tk bug?
@ 1995-03-08 19:12 hc05
From: hc05 @ 1995-03-08 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

>I've started using sam on RS 6000's recently and have been getting
>the following error relatively often (3 times in the past two days):
>
>	Xlib:  sequence lost (0x10006 > 0xfcb) in reply type 0x0!
>	X Error of failed request:  0
>	  Major opcode of failed request:  0 ()
>	  Serial number of failed request:  6
>	  Current serial number in output stream:  4043
>
>Then samterm exits.  Has anyone seen this before?

I used to get a lot of X errors like this in sam on the RS/6000, but I
don' anymore.  I never figured out for sure why, but I think getting
X11R5 helped me (we were on X11 R4 for a long time).  In any case, I
can't remember the last time it died on me.  It could be a sam version
issue too.  Unfortunately I don't know how to tell what version I have.  I
think it is the one before the recent release, with the samx2 patches added
in.

Beirne

Beirne Konarski                 | Reading maketh a full man, conference a
beirnek@summitis.com            | ready man, and writing an exact man.
"Untouched by Scandal"          |       -- Francis Bacon