sam-fans - fans of the sam editor
From: hc05@summitis.com
Subject: Editors compendium & sam
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 1995 11:12:53 -0500	[thread overview]

I just read the editors compendium in comp.editors, which is a tabular
comparison of lots of editors, and saw a lot of holes in the sam
column.  I was going to write to the guy and fill them in, but figured
I'd post my views here first to make sure I'm not missing something.  I
list the items below that were blank in the compendium, with my opinion
on the correct answer.  I welcome any corrections. I also list a few
where I think the compendium is wrong.

I added descriptions where I thought they were needed for because the
title wasn't clear enough.  If anyone wants to see the whole compendium
I can send it to them or post it to the list.  It is of course also
available in comp.editors.

Beirne

Enter ASCII codes by #:  Use command '<echo "\xxx"' to insert at present
	location.
Goto column number: It says you can do this, but I don't know how.  I know
	I can put the cursor anywhere I want with the mouse, but don't know
	how to go to the nth column on a line.
Goto begin next line: ?
Goto begin prev line: ?
Move cursor up by page: yes, using the mouse on the scrollbar.
Move cursor dn by page: yes, using the mouse on the scrollbar.
Move to next word: yes, with the mouse.  You could write a command for this,
	but it wouldn't be worth using.
Move to prev word: yes, with the mouse.  You could write a command for this,
	but it wouldn't be worth using.
Move by sentence: yes, with the mouse or a command.
Move by paragraph: yes, with the mouse or a command.
Scrolling extend adjustable: This is defined as "Can the user specify the
	number of lines that are scrolled with PgUp/PgDn.".  I'd say the answer
	is no.
Single line scrolling:  Defined as:

"Some editors have an screen update optimization feature that instead
of redrawing the entire screen when srolling/panning left/right, only
the current line is scrolled leaving the remainder of the screen to
be updated during a period of inactivity."

I'd say no, because you don't scroll sideways.

Scroll curr line to TOS/MOS/BOS: Yes/No/No.

Change fname  w/o save: Yes, using "f newname".

Prog lang senstive mode: This says yes, but I don't know of any direct features
	for this.

Tag search: Yes, with the help of an external program.
Interactive debugging: No.
Syntax highlighting: No.

Binary editor: They give three categories.  I think this one is closest:
	"displays binary characters doesn't do CR/LF conversion on binary files"
Invertcase curr word: A macro could be written to do this.
Uppercase curr word: A macro could be written to do this.
Lowercase curr word: A macro could be written to do this.
Delete to line num.: Yes, using ".,nd" or "n,.d"
Indent selected region: Yes, using a macro.
Srch select region: No.
Srch multiple buffers: Yes.
List all occurances: Yes.
Menus customizable: You can't customize the built-in menus, but you can add
	menus externally with 9menu, or any other generic menu program.
Read only mode: No.
Simple/Novice mode: No.
Box and line drawing: No.
Line numbering: No.
Internationalization: No.
Printing: This means "Many editors allow you to print selected text directly
	to a printer".  Yes, with a macro.
Keymaps saved in files: Yes, with the samx extension.
Templates: No.
GUI: Yes, but they don't define this.
Window to full screen: Yes.
Fit all wins. on screen: No.  This involves automatic tiling or cascading.
Uses term. scroll opt.: No.  This is for text mode.
Uses term. ins/del opt: No.  This is for text mode.
Font selectable: Yes, by setting resource.
Can quote ctrl chars: Not relevant, since control characters aren't used for
	commands.
Can quote ^s/^q: Not relevant.
Select region filtering: Yes.
Undo last command: Yes.
Undo line changes: No.
Undo historically: Yes.
UNIX (text terminal): Yes, in ed-like fashion.
X windows versions: Yes.
All other OS's: No.

Beirne Konarski                 | Reading maketh a full man, conference a
beirnek@summitis.com            | ready man, and writing an exact man.
"Untouched by Scandal"          |       -- Francis Bacon