sam-fans - fans of the sam editor
* X11R6?
@ 1995-01-19  3:02 arnold
From: arnold @ 1995-01-19  3:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sam-fans

Greetings.  I've been wondering if X11R6 has enough new stuff / performance
enhancements to be worth the switch?  I have a Sun IPC (low end sparc) at
home with X11R5 fully patched (NOT OpenWindoze), and the performance is OK.

Is R6 worth the trouble to get, compile overnight, rebuild sam/9term/9wm,
and in general switch?  I have the latest gcc, if that makes a difference
in the performance.

Thanks,

Arnold

* Re: X11R6?
@ 1995-01-19  7:30 ` Scott Schwartz
From: Scott Schwartz @ 1995-01-19  7:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: arnold; +Cc: sam-fans

| Greetings.  I've been wondering if X11R6 has enough new stuff / performance
| enhancements to be worth the switch?

It's definately bigger and not noticably faster.

The most concrete advantages are that the fonts are somewhat nicer and
the font server works a little better, and it supports the Sun type 5
keyboard properly.  (Properly means all the keys have keysyms bound,
and there are keysyms like SunXK_VideoLowerBrightness to go with the
new keys.)

| Is R6 worth the trouble to get, compile overnight, rebuild sam/9term/9wm,
| and in general switch?

How bored are you feeling? :-)