sam-fans - fans of the sam editor
* re: sam for 95/nt
@ 1997-02-17 16:54 rsc
From: rsc @ 1997-02-17 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pete.fenelon, sam-fans

    One minor caveat, though -- under 95 (don't know about NT) it adopts the
    Unix-y (and indeed right-thinking) LF as newline.... which means it's not
    ideal for editing Windows text files which use CR/LF -- (A) it shows the CR
    half of CR/LF as a CR character and (B) it makes it a tad tricky to use
    files produced with Sam with utilities that aren't wise to the rest of the
    world's conventions on newline...

Making a file with the commands
,s/<CR>//g
,s/$/<CR>/g

is helpful, the sam equivalent of /acme/edit/guide.
(I haven't figured out how to type a CR, and just copy them
from other text files).  Another way to add CR's is to open
and close the file in MS-DOS Edit.

One thing that would be very nice is if Shift-Right Button
brought up the middle button menu (cut-paste-etc.), as it
does in Plan 9.

Russ

* re: sam for 95/nt
@ 1997-02-18  4:02 arnold
From: arnold @ 1997-02-18  4:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sam-fans

> (I haven't figured out how to type a CR, and just copy them from other
> text files).

Control-m works just fine for me under Unix. Haven't tried the NT
version yet.

Arnold Robbins -- The Basement Computer		| Laundry increases
Internet: arnold@gnu.ai.mit.edu			| exponentially in the
UUCP:	dragon!skeeve!arnold			| number of children.
Bitnet:	Forget it. Get on a real network.	|    -- Miriam Robbins

* re: sam for 95/nt
@ 1997-02-17 17:15 Pete Fenelon
From: Pete Fenelon @ 1997-02-17 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: quanstro; +Cc: sam-fans

At 12:01 17/02/97 -0500, you wrote:
>>(I haven't figured out how to type a CR, and just copy them from other
text files).

><compose> X000d
>
>where <compose> is usually the <alt> key. i don't know if this works on
the win{nt,95}
>version

ALT-nnn (using the numeric keypad keys) is the way of entering characters
by code under Windows. ALT-013 duplicates the effects of the RETURN key,
however, and for some odd reason ALT-010 inserts the C/R character -- not
quite what I'd expect!

Strange but true :)

pete
--
Pete Fenelon, 39 Broadway, Fulford, York, YO1 4JP Tel: +44 1904 670334
pete.fenelon@zetnet.co.uk "I could tell you, but only at consultancy rates".

* re: sam for 95/nt
@ 1997-02-17 17:01 erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 1997-02-17 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sam-fans

>(I haven't figured out how to type a CR, and just copy them from other text files).

<compose> X000d

where <compose> is usually the <alt> key. i don't know if this works on the win{nt,95}
version

* RE: sam for 95/nt
@ 1997-02-17 16:35 Nigel Roles
From: Nigel Roles @ 1997-02-17 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'sam-fans@hawkwind.utcs.toronto.edu'

I modified the UNIX version to do CRLF translation, N space indentation,
and tab to space conversion to observe our company coding standard. Not
difficult.

Nigel Roles, Symbionics Ltd..

* sam for 95/nt
@ 1997-02-17 16:26 Pete Fenelon