sam-fans - fans of the sam editor
* libutf-2.8 and ssam-1.7
@ 1997-02-24 16:29 Alistair Crooks
From: Alistair Crooks @ 1997-02-24 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wilyfans; +Cc: sam-fans

It was pointed out to me that my implementation of chartorune() was
braindead, and I can only agree, and I've since also discovered that
my implementation of fullrune() was lacking, to such a degree that it
was just plain wrong.  Apologies, as this hinders Alan Watson's wc
from working correctly.  I've also cleaned up a bug in utf_snprintf,
which was also downright silly.

The new versions have been uploaded to:

        http://www.westley.demon.co.uk/libutf-2.8.tar.gz
        http://www.westley.demon.co.uk/ssam-1.7.tar.gz

although they're only visible from "close of business" (my ISP's words,
not mine) today, 24th February, 17:00 GMT.

As usual, the correct way to install the software is as follows:

% tar xvzf libutf-2.8.tar.gz
% cd libutf-2.8
% ./configure
% make tst
% make install
% cd ..
% tar xvzf ssam-1.7.tar.gz
% cd ssam-1.7
% ./configure
% make tst
% make install

A list of the changes appears at the end of this mail.

This has been tested on UTS 4.3.2 (S390 mainframe), Solaris 2.4 (SS5),
and NetBSD/i386 1.2C.

Sorry about the bugs,
Alistair

ssam-1.7 changes
+ corrected spelling of Byron Rakitzis' name in ssam.1 manual page

libutf-2.8 changes
+ added error checking to chartorune, at suggestion of Rob Pike
(rob@plan9.bell-labs.com) - now recognise `error runes', and return
the Runeerror character, with unity length.  The previous code ignored
error runes, and blindly gave them a length of 3 bytes, probably
pushing the following runes in the string `out of sync'. Woops.
+ added a test for error runes
+ check for null expressions, which can cause gurep to coredump
when dereferenced on some platforms e.g.  Solaris.
+ added a test for null expressions given as args to gurep
+ corrected my implementation of fullrune(), which was just plain
wrong. Shown up by testing Alan Watson's UTF-aware wc.
+ fixed a bug whereby I didn't zero-byte-terminate the buffer in
utf_snprintf - this caused occasional "language not found" errors.

only message in thread, other threads:[~1997-02-24 16:29 UTC | newest]