From: "David Kaufman" <david@gigawatt.com>
Subject: Re: runit-run install failed - conflict w/unofficial daemontools-run?
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 22:47:23 -0500	[thread overview]

[replying to self]

I, David Kaufman <david@gigawatt.com> wrote:
> I just tried to install runit and runit-run on a Debian sarge setup
> which already has var-qmail, qmail-run, djbdns and daemontools
> installed from http://smarden.org/pape/Debian/ ... using dselect, and
> this was the output:
>
>  There already is an SV entry in /etc/inittab [...] you need to remove
> or rename the current SV entry first.
>  Installation failed.
>
> [...] looked in [/etc/inittab] and found:
> #-- daemontools-run begin
> SV:123456:respawn:/command/svscanboot
> #-- daemontools-run end

Just found Gerrit's reply to a similar question in the list archives:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.sysutils.supervision.general/1113

which answers each of my questions:

> Should I just rename the old SV entry in there?

No, grasshopper.  runit *replaces* daemontools.

> If so, does it matter what I rename it to?

You (I mean I) should comment (or delete) these daemontools lines *out*
of the inittab before attempting to install runit (though it would be
nice if an install script did that).  Do not uninstall the daemotools
debian package though.  It may have some binaries your existing
/var/service's (qmail, dbjdns) are using.

> I sure hope the unofficial daemontools-run and runit-run are
> compatible with one another!

{sigh}.  runit is backwards-compatible with daemontools.

> Thanks for any suggestion anyone might have to offer!

I'm welcome, me!

-dave