* runit-run install failed - conflict w/unofficial daemontools-run?
@ 2006-11-13 20:13 David Kaufman
From: David Kaufman @ 2006-11-13 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I just tried to install runit and runit-run on a Debian sarge setup
which already has var-qmail, qmail-run, djbdns and daemontools installed
from http://smarden.org/pape/Debian/

I was using dselect, and this was the output:

  This package diverts sysvinit's /sbin/init binary.  Use

   # /sbin/init.sysv 6

  to reboot the system with runit as process no 1 after installing this
  package.

  Please read the runit documentation before proceeding:

    http://smarden.org/runit/

  Press ENTER to continue, press Ctrl-C to abort...

  Adding `diversion of /sbin/init to /sbin/init.sysv by runit-run'
  Adding `diversion of /usr/share/man/man8/init.8.gz to
    /usr/share/man/man8/init.sysv.8.gz by runit-run'

  Setting up runit (1.0.5-3) ...

  There already is an SV entry in /etc/inittab.  In order to have
  this package add an entry with the name SV to have runit's service
  supervision started by sysvinit, you need to remove or rename the
  current SV entry first.

  Installation failed.
  0;10m
  dpkg: error processing runit (--configure):
  dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of runit-run:
   runit-run depends on runit (>> 1.0.5-0); however:
    Package runit is not configured yet.
  dpkg: error processing runit-run (--configure):

"There already is an SV entry in /etc/inittab" seemed to be the problem,
so I looked in there and found:

#-- daemontools-run begin
SV:123456:respawn:/command/svscanboot
#-- daemontools-run end

...which I assume is from my previous daemontools-run installation.
Should I just rename the old SV entry in there?  I'm not familiar with
editing /etc/inittab entries.  If so, does it matter what I rename it
to?

I sure hope the unofficial daemontools-run and runit-run are compatible
with one another!

BTW Here are my apt sources:

===[/etc/apt/sources.list]===
deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free
deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable/non-US main contrib
non-free
deb http://security.debian.org stable/updates main contrib non-free

deb http://www.backports.org/debian/ sarge-backports main

deb http://smarden.org/pape/Debian/ sarge unofficial
=============================

Thanks for any suggestion anyone might have to offer!

-dave

* Re: runit-run install failed - conflict w/unofficial daemontools-run?
@ 2006-11-14  3:47 ` David Kaufman
From: David Kaufman @ 2006-11-14  3:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

[replying to self]

I, David Kaufman <david@gigawatt.com> wrote:
> I just tried to install runit and runit-run on a Debian sarge setup
> which already has var-qmail, qmail-run, djbdns and daemontools
> installed from http://smarden.org/pape/Debian/ ... using dselect, and
> this was the output:
>
>  There already is an SV entry in /etc/inittab [...] you need to remove
> or rename the current SV entry first.
>  Installation failed.
>
> [...] looked in [/etc/inittab] and found:
> #-- daemontools-run begin
> SV:123456:respawn:/command/svscanboot
> #-- daemontools-run end

Just found Gerrit's reply to a similar question in the list archives:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.sysutils.supervision.general/1113

which answers each of my questions:

> Should I just rename the old SV entry in there?

No, grasshopper.  runit *replaces* daemontools.

> If so, does it matter what I rename it to?

You (I mean I) should comment (or delete) these daemontools lines *out*
of the inittab before attempting to install runit (though it would be
nice if an install script did that).  Do not uninstall the daemotools
debian package though.  It may have some binaries your existing
/var/service's (qmail, dbjdns) are using.

> I sure hope the unofficial daemontools-run and runit-run are
> compatible with one another!

{sigh}.  runit is backwards-compatible with daemontools.

> Thanks for any suggestion anyone might have to offer!

I'm welcome, me!

-dave