From: Paul Dorman <pauld@cwa.co.nz>
Subject: Deciphering error message
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 08:44:33 +1200	[thread overview]

Hi all, not *quite* understanding how everything should look, and I hate
to say it, but the documentation for runit appears to be lacking. A
howto or two would be great (especially for Debian ;o) )

I have a test machine (running inside a Xen VM) and have installed the
runit package for sarge to see how everything might look. I have
an /etc/runit directory, where a getty-5 example directory was created
with the following structure:

sysadmin:/etc/runit# ls -l getty-5/
total 8
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 31 2005-03-26 08:47 finish
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 44 2005-03-26 08:47 run
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 16 2005-08-09 15:21 supervise
-> /var/run/getty-5

I created a symlink to the getty-5 directory in /var/service, and I can
see the following in /var/run/getty-5/:

sysadmin:/etc/runit# ls -l /var/run/getty-5
total 12
prw-------  1 root root  0 2005-08-09 15:35 control
-rw-------  1 root root  0 2005-08-09 15:35 lock
prw-------  1 root root  0 2005-08-09 15:35 ok
-rw-r--r--  1 root root  5 2005-08-09 15:37 pid
-rw-r--r--  1 root root  4 2005-08-09 15:37 stat
-rw-r--r--  1 root root 20 2005-08-09 15:37 status

I copied the structure of the /etc/runit/getty-5 and modified it to
start apache2, and noted that there is an empty /var/run/apache2
directory which I have linked to /etc/runit/apache2/supervise.

Apache is running, and I note that it continues to run when I kill -9
the Apache processes, so it looks like Apache is running under runit's
supervision. Great!

The issue I now have is that I see this unhelpful line in my process
list (all on one line):

root     11332  0.0  0.0    88   28 ?        Ss   08:29   0:00
runsvdir /var/service log:  lock supervise/lock: temporary failure?runsv
apache2: fatal: unable to lock supervise/lock: temporary failure?runsv
getty-5: fatal: unable to lock supervise/lock: temporary failure?runsv
apache2: fatal: unable to lock supervise/lock: temporary failure?runsv
getty-5: fatal: unable to lock supervise/lock: temporary failure?runsv
apache2: fatal: unable to lock supervise/lock: temporary failure?

Could someone please tell me what this message means? Is there something
I need to do to make it go away? If it's not a real error, it sure looks
like one!

Thanks in advance,
Paul