From: mobinmob@disroot.org
To: Steve Litt <slitt@troubleshooters.com>
Cc: supervision@list.skarnet.org
Subject: Re: State of skarnet.org projects
Date: Mon, 03 Feb 2020 21:28:42 +0200	[thread overview]

Στις Κυρ, Φεβ 2, 2020 at 09:07, ο/η Steve Litt
<slitt@troubleshooters.com> έγραψε:
> On Sun, 2 Feb 2020 12:34:05 +0200
> fungal-net <fungalnet@obarun.org <mailto:fungalnet@obarun.org>> wrote:
>
>>  Void is also
>>  very close, I for one use it with s6 and 66 for a while now and in
>>  many ways being more carefree than obarun having fast balls thrown
>> by
>>  arch daily.
>
> Have you, or are you going to, write documentation on how to install
> and maintain s6 (and presumably s6-rc) on Void? Are you using Void's
> s6* packages, or do you compile the stuff yourself? If you install
> Void's s6* packages, does that remove runit? I'd like to have both, to
> a/b them against each other and to more quickly learn s6*.

I am the maintainer of 66/66-tools and oblibs templates/packages in
voidlinux.
The 66/s6/s6-rc packages contain only what is provided by the upstream
projects
or compiled with the projects build systems.
The scripts for runit stage 1 and some relevant utilities are developed
in the void-runit gh
repo [1] and packaged in the runit-void package [2].
Currently there is no package that does the same for 66. I plan to
build one
once I have enough time for testing. I will accomplish this by
modifying the
boot-66serv [3] project already used by  obarun. I am going to create
both
a '66-void' package that will be rougly analogous  to the runit-void one
and a base-system-66 package that will replace base-system. I plan to
use
the same basic configuration file (/etc/rc.conf) and follow existing
(and mostly
unwritten/assumed) void policies regarding the basic system
functionality.
Switching from one init system to the other should require no more than
installing
the new base system and doing basic configuration (once).

> It seems trivial to me to deploy s6 stage 2 and migrate all my runit
> stage2 to s6 stage 2. However, migrating stage 1 sounds to me like an
> Einsteinian task. Runit's stage 1 repeatedly loops through .d
> directories in what I find to be an unobvious way.

boot-66serv works fine with void [4]-[5], but I want to make (and test)
certain
changes in order to package it properly. You will need 66 and 66-tools
packages
installed.
That being said, 66 is not just s6-rc and s6. It uses an ini-based
format
for services [6] and has some simple but powerfull utilities. It
organises services
in trees [7] - obarun has (ootb) a boot tree (provided by boot-66serv)
and a root
tree populated by service frontend files packaged seperately.

> It seems to me that Void is getting more popular every day, and Void
> could serve as a Rosetta Stone between runit and s6. I'd appreciate
> any
> documentation you have or will write in the future concerning your use
> of s6* on Void.
>
> Thanks,
>
> SteveT
>
> Steve Litt
> February 2020 featured book: Thriving in Tough Times
> <http://www.troubleshooters.com/thrive>

[1] https://github.com/void-linux/void-runit
[2]
https://github.com/void-linux/void-packages/blob/a71b0a458be6ae5d095dc94aa4f2983acc0796db/srcpkgs/runit-void/template