* Re: [runit] runsvdir crashing?
       [not found] ` <20031030144423.10780.qmail@h14f7d.mid.smarden.org>
@ 2003-10-30 16:04   ` peter gervai
From: peter gervai @ 2003-10-30 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 15:44:23 +0100, Gerrit Pape <pape@smarden.org> wrote:

> Please followup to that list for further discussion]

ok.

> The ppp daemon for
> example sends signals to a process group it didn't create.  This is a
> bug, but it seems that the pppd maintainer does not agree.  See this
> thread:
>
>  http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.sysutils.supervision.general/137/match=crashes
>
> The fix is to fix the daemon that carelessly sends signals to its parent
> processes.  The workaround is to run the daemon in a new process group
> with the chpst program, e.g.:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> exec 2>&1
> exec chpst -P pppd call isp nodetach

Ah, I remember to read this somwhere in the docs. Problem is: the example
scripts on smarden.org doesn't mention this in the pppd entry (and that was
what I used when creadin my scripts). Would be nice to fix it (or
mentioning
this problem/alternative), if someone here happens to edit smarden.org..
:-)

[http://smarden.org/runit/runscripts.html#ppp]

thanks,
Peter

* Re: [runit] runsvdir crashing?
@ 2003-10-31 10:40     ` Gerrit Pape
From: Gerrit Pape @ 2003-10-31 10:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Oct 30, 2003 at 05:04:43PM +0100, peter gervai wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 15:44:23 +0100, Gerrit Pape <pape@smarden.org> wrote:
> >The fix is to fix the daemon that carelessly sends signals to its
> >parent processes.  The workaround is to run the daemon in a new
> >process group with the chpst program, e.g.:
> >
> >#!/bin/sh exec 2>&1
> >exec chpst -P pppd call isp nodetach
>
> Ah, I remember to read this somwhere in the docs. Problem is: the
> example scripts on smarden.org doesn't mention this in the pppd entry
> (and that was what I used when creadin my scripts). Would be nice to
> fix it

I just added the example above to the web page.

Thanks for pointing this out, Gerrit.

* Re: [runit] runsvdir crashing?
@ 2003-10-31 11:35       ` Lukas Beeler
From: Lukas Beeler @ 2003-10-31 11:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Gerrit Pape <pape@smarden.org>:
> I just added the example above to the web page.

FYI: apache2 (prefork MPM) with -DFOREGROUND has the same problem.

--
Today is the first day of the rest of our lives.
http://www.suug.ch