Gerrit Pape [Mon, Dec 15, 2003 at 10:17:34AM +0100]: > On Sat, Dec 13, 2003 at 09:57:42PM +0100, nico-linux@schottelius.org wrote: > > Can you use dependencies in stage 1 and 3, too? > > You can do all you like in stage 1 and 3, they're just shell scripts. what I meant are dependencies in that may runit does it from itself. > > I really like the style of minit, as it is generally simple, but > > I like the three stages of runit, although I am missing the > > dependencies in the first and last stage. > > I've never had the need for this. I am for example only starting services if the mounts went well. > Stage 1 simply prepares the system to > run services (fsck, mount file systems, ...), stage 3 takes care of > bringing the services down reliably but stage3 is _my_ work...and can be faulty. > and prepares the system for shutdown. > There's no parallelism in these stage, why not? I can mount three filesystems parallel. > and so no need for dependencies > AFAICS. We'll see. > Please discuss runit on the mailing list, > not with me privately. I prefer public discussions about free software. Me too. I even would like to discuss this stuff on the minit mailing list, too, but I am not a friend of crossposting and perhaps some of the users of minit are here, too. What I am exactly looking for is: - something fast - something reliable - something simple I am currently building up a new Linux distribution and don't want to use the old style sysVinit, although there are some scripts I wrote which make bootin quiet fast, too. Another aspect I am not clear about: Should *init do supervising? Are the daemontools unecessary in this case? Just the need for some information, Nico -- Keep it simple & stupid, use what's available. pgp: 8D0E E27A | Nico Schottelius http://nerd-hosting.net | http://linux.schottelius.org