* runsv compiled static - why?
@ 2004-03-25 13:01 Richard A Downing FBCS
From: Richard A Downing FBCS @ 2004-03-25 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

I noticed that all the runit binaries are statically linked.  I don't
understand why?  Runsv and svlogd, in particular, have many copies in
memory - wouldn't a dynamic link mean fewer pages used?

--
Richard A Downing FBCS CITP
http://www.109bean.org.uk/

* Re: runsv compiled static - why?
@ 2004-03-25 15:44 ` Paul Jarc
From: Paul Jarc @ 2004-03-25 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: supervision

Richard A Downing FBCS <richard@109bean.org.uk> wrote:
> I noticed that all the runit binaries are statically linked.  I don't
> understand why?

Just a guess: to minimize run-time dependencies.

> Runsv and svlogd, in particular, have many copies in memory -
> wouldn't a dynamic link mean fewer pages used?

There should be only one copy of each program in memory, even if they
are statically linked.  But there will be some duplication of some
libc components within those programs.

paul

* Re: runsv compiled static - why?
@ 2004-03-25 21:13   ` Gerrit Pape
From: Gerrit Pape @ 2004-03-25 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Richard A Downing FBCS

On Thu, Mar 25, 2004 at 10:44:17AM -0500, Paul Jarc wrote:
> Richard A Downing FBCS <richard@109bean.org.uk> wrote:
> > I noticed that all the runit binaries are statically linked.  I don't
> > understand why?
>
> Just a guess: to minimize run-time dependencies.

Yes, but only the runit and runit-init programs should be linked
statically in the default install.  This allows to make shared libraries
available not until stage 1.  Are you sure that all runit programs are
linked statically on your system?

Regards, Gerrit.