* runit's control files
@ 2004-04-04 10:04 Thomas Schwinge
From: Thomas Schwinge @ 2004-04-04 10:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello!

What's the benefit for runit to use the files 'stopit' and 'reboot' to
pass information to the runit process instead of using a fifo like
'traditional' init and supervise / runsv do?

Regards,
 Thomas

* Re: runit's control files
@ 2004-04-05  8:43 ` Gerrit Pape
From: Gerrit Pape @ 2004-04-05  8:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Apr 04, 2004 at 12:04:50PM +0200, Thomas Schwinge wrote:
> What's the benefit for runit to use the files 'stopit' and 'reboot' to
> pass information to the runit process instead of using a fifo like
> 'traditional' init and supervise / runsv do?

One benefit that comes to my mind is that also other processes than
process no 1 have access to the information, namely stage 3 and the
processes run in stage 3.  And communicating with the init process
through signals is easy and reliable as you always know the pid.

What's the benefits of using a named pipe or socket instead?

Regards, Gerrit.