* daemontools, just compiling and not installing
@ 2004-05-11 16:49 Payal Rathod
From: Payal Rathod @ 2004-05-11 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,
Excuse for a stupid question, but what is a way for just compiling the
daemontools package? I wanted to use some packages from it but do not
want to install them all. In such a case I would do, package/install as
a normal  user so that packages are not installed. But that is a
workaround. Is there any better way?

With warm regards,
-Payal

* Re: daemontools, just compiling and not installing
@ 2004-05-11 16:53 ` Paul Jarc
From: Paul Jarc @ 2004-05-11 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: supervision

Payal Rathod <payal-smarden@staticky.com> wrote:
> Excuse for a stupid question, but what is a way for just compiling the
> daemontools package?

package/compile will build the programs within the package directory.
package/upgrade will set up symlinks so the programs appear in $PATH.
package/run will set up svscan to run automatically.  You probably
want package/compile and package/upgrade, but not package/run.

paul

* Re: daemontools, just compiling and not installing
@ 2004-05-11 16:57   ` Charlie Brady
From: Charlie Brady @ 2004-05-11 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: supervision

On Tue, 11 May 2004, Paul Jarc wrote:

> Payal Rathod <payal-smarden@staticky.com> wrote:
> > Excuse for a stupid question, but what is a way for just compiling the
> > daemontools package?
>
> package/compile will build the programs within the package directory.
> package/upgrade will set up symlinks so the programs appear in $PATH.
> package/run will set up svscan to run automatically.  You probably
> want package/compile and package/upgrade, but not package/run.

Or package/compile, then copy the programs you want to where you want
them.

[But I don't know why you wouldn't wish to install all the programs. Their
names are distinct (and claimed for /command), so you shouldn't clobber
anything, and they will certainly be harmless if never executed.]

--
Charlie

* Re: daemontools, just compiling and not installing
@ 2004-05-11 16:58   ` Payal Rathod
From: Payal Rathod @ 2004-05-11 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, May 11, 2004 at 12:53:42PM -0400, Paul Jarc wrote:
> Payal Rathod <payal-smarden@staticky.com> wrote:
> > Excuse for a stupid question, but what is a way for just compiling the
> > daemontools package?
>
> package/compile will build the programs within the package directory.
> package/upgrade will set up symlinks so the programs appear in $PATH.
> package/run will set up svscan to run automatically.  You probably
> want package/compile and package/upgrade, but not package/run.

Thanks for the mail. I guess I just need package/compile. I will install
them myself.

Thanks again.
With warm regards,
-Payal