From: John Nielsen <knoglen@tele2.fr>
Subject: Re: /etc/runit/3 not executing correctly...
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 20:26:35 +0200	[thread overview]

On Tuesday 27 July 2004 18:55, John Nielsen wrote:
> > > That message is not from runit, did you post your complete stage 3
> > > script, or only a top part of it?
> >
> > Yes, I posted all of the script. I had cut it down as much as possible to
> > troubleshoot.
> >
> > I really dont know where that message somes from then? That textstring
> > "Unmounting any remaining filesystems" doesnt exist in any of the
> > existing boot scripts. I just doublechecked, and it isnt there. Where
> > else could it come from? The kernel itself?
>
> I found out where the message comes from. It is generated by the util-linux
> version of shutdown I am using. Its last action before it halts the
> computer is to umount everything that is left.
>
> I then tried to reinstall the sysvinit version of shutdown and that worked
> a lot better.
>
> So all of this seems to be caused by util-linux shutdown not wanting to
> play nice with runit.
>
> I would really love to be abel to completely dump the sysvinit package. I
> guess my case is a special one since I am not using a standart distro.

I feel lonely like this, replying to myself all the time. :-)

I solved the problem. Instead of trying to make the util-linux versions of the
files work, I wrote my own damn files!

Actueally they are shell scripts calling init with different paramenters. They
appear to work like a charm. I allso got ctrl-alt-del to work as i want. This
is definetely starting to look like something.

I noticed a strange problem however. Every time i shut down, the getties dies
except for the getties that are logged in. I have to start the shutdown
script and then log out on that console.

I know that I can specify a timeout on svwaitdown that kills the service when
the timeout has been reached, only this doesnt seem like a very clean
shutdown. Is it possible to shut down the session cleanly without killing it?
Im talking about something along the lines of what sysvinit does. Im guessing
something you would put in the /etc/runit/getty-*/finish script.

Any ideas?

Regards,

John