From: Alex Efros <powerman@sky.net.ua>
Subject: Re: svlogd -tt
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 02:02:01 +0300	[thread overview]

Hi!

You all discuss very complex things... patches... :) probably I misunderstand
this issue, but I think we already have everything we need in file timestamp,
and there is no need to convert logfile names from TAI.

If you want to select logfile name based on localtime just list directory:

home /var/log/qmail/qmail-send # ls -o
total 17494
-rw-r--r--    1 qmaill        411 Feb 21 17:57 @4000000040378031026453dc.u
-rw-r--r--    1 qmaill     173932 Feb 23 11:02 @400000004039c4611fadac2c.u
-rw-r--r--    1 qmaill    1024279 Mar  2 10:32 @400000004044a95f0f120e1c.u
...skip....
-rw-r--r--    1 qmaill        542 Jul  8 18:39 @4000000040ed6b2734067d34.u
-rw-r--r--    1 qmaill     741472 Jul 23 00:45 @40000000410039f317fab1dc.u
-rwxr--r--    1 qmaill    2499038 Jul 26 21:07 @400000004105486f30840564.s
-rw-r--r--    1 root           12 Feb 20 18:00 config
-rw-r--r--    1 qmaill     683653 Jul 29 01:45 current
-rw-------    1 qmaill          0 Feb 16 03:04 lock
-rw-r--r--    1 qmaill          0 Feb 16 03:04 state
home /var/log/qmail/qmail-send #

and then copy/paste needed logfile name using mouse.

On Tue, Jul 20, 2004 at 09:00:06PM +0200, Henrik Heil wrote:
> i read the thread about the svlogd -t switches some weeks ago and though
>  i am using -tt (UTC) happily i am missing the feature to have the
> rotated logfiles with UTC-names instead of @TAI-names.
>
> Is there a drawback to make this an option?
> The order of the logfiles would be preserved, selecting logfiles with
> wildcards would be easy.

If you want to select group of logfiles based on localtime you can do a
number of tricks, for example:

home /var/log/qmail/qmail-send # find -name '@*' -mtime -7 -daystart -exec ls -o {} \;
-rw-r--r--    1 qmaill     741472 Jul 23 00:45 ./@40000000410039f317fab1dc.u
-rwxr--r--    1 qmaill    2499038 Jul 26 21:07 ./@400000004105486f30840564.s
home /var/log/qmail/qmail-send #

you can use any sort of command instead of 'ls -o' for apply to all logfiles
for a last week (-mtime -7).

If you really-really need to have localtime 'wildcards' you do something like
this:

home /var/log/qmail/qmail-send # ls -o | grep 'Jun 15 19:'
-rw-r--r--    1 qmaill      19540 Jun 15 19:27 @4000000040cf23f91d3bf0ac.u
-rw-r--r--    1 qmaill       4334 Jun 15 19:45 @4000000040cf2a0f19b638d4.u
-rw-r--r--    1 qmaill         57 Jun 15 19:55 @4000000040cf2ad33559015c.u
home /var/log/qmail/qmail-send # ls -o | grep 'Jun 15 19:' | cut -b 48-
@4000000040cf23f91d3bf0ac.u
@4000000040cf2a0f19b638d4.u
@4000000040cf2ad33559015c.u
home /var/log/qmail/qmail-send #