From: Alex Efros <powerman@sky.net.ua>
Subject: Re: svlogd -tt
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 14:12:58 +0300	[thread overview]

Hi!

On Thu, Jul 29, 2004 at 12:12:59PM +0200, Henrik Heil wrote:
> I know that i can use the mtime to select the logfiles.
> Thanks for the examples anyway. I still think that this is kind of a
> workaround.
> With the mtime approach you could argue that there is no need for a
> timestamp in the filenames at all. Even without mtime you could do a
> script that looks in all the files to select ranges.
> In my opinion a log processor program would the preferable solution and
> fit well in the runit-suite.

Hmm... how about this idea for log processor program:
1) svlogd execute processor which just fork in background and return log file
   without changes back to svlogd
2) svlogd remove old TAI-logfile and create new TAI-logfile
3) processor (forked in background) notice log rotation is done (how?) and then:
    1) execute 'ln newTAIlogfile newLOCALTIMElogfile' to create hard linked file
    2) search for some oldLOCALTIMElogfile with only one hardlink to it (because
       oldTAIlogfile which was hardlinked to it was just removed by svlogd) and
       remove it too
    3) exit

Maybe it's better to do this work in cron-script instead of log processor.

--
			WBR, Alex.