From: Gerrit Pape <pape@smarden.org>
Subject: Re: Cross compiling for VIA C3?
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 15:08:28 +0000	[thread overview]

On Sat, Nov 20, 2004 at 01:44:07AM +0200, yoppo@jippii.fi wrote:
> >> Is it possible to cross-compile runit for VIA C3 system? If yes then how?
> >> If I compile it normally on my athlon machine it doesn't work at all in
> >> my NAT-machine (VIA).
> >afair via c3 lack of cmov, what produce 'some' problems when
> >crosscompiling, what optimizations are you using?
> The latest try was with -O2 -march=i586 -mcpu=i586 don't know if Iam
> missing something, but it seems like it could not be cross compiled just
> changing the optimizations.
>
> Now after studying the compile process it seems like it makes some kind
> of testing on compile time but I dont have any clues how to "hack" the
> compile process so it would work in the VIA C3. And because I have only

Yes, the runit package's build process (just as the daemontools' one)
includes some tests to configure system dependencies.  This includes
three runtime tests where a test program is compiled, linked, and then
run.  These runtime tests obviously won't work when cross-compiling.

More precisely it's the targets hasshsgr.h:, iopause.h:, and uint64.h:,
in the Makefile which test setgroups(), poll(), and the size of uint64,
to select *.h1 or *.h2 respectively.  You can compile and link the test
programs, and then run them on the target device to check the exit code
and choose the correct header.

> 64Mb Usb drive as a "hard drive" on that VIA I can't even test compiling
> the runit directly there to see if it works when not cross compiling and
> what the compile process does when compiling on that platform.

A nfs mount could help.

HTH, Gerrit.