* supervision on suse
@ 2005-01-24 17:26 Payal Rathod
From: Payal Rathod @ 2005-01-24 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,
Anybody can share tips on getting runit run on suse. When I try,
# chkconfig --del syslog
insserv: Service syslog has to be enabled for service cron
insserv: Service syslog has to be enabled for service named
insserv: exiting now!
/sbin/insserv failed, exit code 1
syslog                    0:off  1:off  2:on   3:on   4:off  5:on
6:off

Any ideas on getting it running?
With warm regards,
-Payal

* Re: supervision on suse
@ 2005-01-24 18:01 ` Charlie Brady
From: Charlie Brady @ 2005-01-24 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: supervision

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005, Payal Rathod wrote:

> Hi,
> Anybody can share tips on getting runit run on suse. When I try,
> # chkconfig --del syslog
> insserv: Service syslog has to be enabled for service cron
> insserv: Service syslog has to be enabled for service named
> insserv: exiting now!
> /sbin/insserv failed, exit code 1
> syslog                    0:off  1:off  2:on   3:on   4:off  5:on
> 6:off
>
> Any ideas on getting it running?

Do not use chkconfig, as it claims to know better than you whether syslog
should be started by SysV init. Just remove the S*syslog symlinks in
/etc/rc[1235].d, and make sure that you have a syslog service running
under runsv.

Is your use of chkconfig to shut down non-supervised syslog the only
problem you are having? You mentioned runit, but I don't see anything
specific in your question about runit.

---
Charlie

* Re: supervision on suse
@ 2005-01-24 18:36   ` Payal Rathod
From: Payal Rathod @ 2005-01-24 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: supervision

On Mon, Jan 24, 2005 at 01:01:27PM -0500, Charlie Brady wrote:
> Do not use chkconfig, as it claims to know better than you whether
> syslog should be started by SysV init. Just remove the S*syslog
> symlinks in /etc/rc[1235].d, and make sure that you have a syslog
> service running under runsv.

I will try that.

> Is your use of chkconfig to shut down non-supervised syslog the
> only problem you are having? You mentioned runit, but I don't see
> anything specific in your question about runit.

You can kick me. I mistook this list for the socklog list. I meant to
replace syslog with socklog. Believe it or not, but I always have
trouble remembering which package of Gerrit does what, though they
are very nice. I just cannot co-relate thier names to their tasks :)

With warm regards,
-Payal