On Tue, Jan 25, 2005 at 09:31:48PM -0700, Vincent Danen wrote: > > On Jan 25, 2005, at 17:44, Csillag Tamás wrote: > > >>>Yes, it's dietlibc. Dietlibc executes code from the stack during > >>>system calls, > >>>afaict. > >> > >>Well, it's definitely dietlibc. I compiled runit with glibc > >>(statically) and it works just fine. Very strange. > >I got the same with grsecurity (www.grsecurity.org). > >Well it did not stated exactly in the log that the stack operation is > >the > >cause of killing that process. > > > >It could happen for *all* dietlibc linked program. > >(I experienced in: runsv svlogd fnord tcpsvd ... ) > > Odd thing here is that I tried a few other apps that were > dietlibc-compiled and didn't see a problem. > > Hmmm... spoke too soon. None of the services requiring tcpsvd were > installed, so I tried with rsync and if I start supervise on those > services, nothing happens. But if "sh -x run" myself, I can see the > services are starting. Not sure if recompiling ipsvd without dietlibc > will help, but it's something I'll have to try. > > >In grsec I use the chpax utility to bypass this security checks on > >these > >(and only these) programs. > > Ouch. Not a good solution. > > >Maybe it is worth asking the author of dietlibc.. > >http://www.fefe.de/dietlibc/ > > I have... and am in the middle of a conversation with him. He's very > interested in seeing this resolved. Few months ago I noticed that *any* program which is compiled/linked with dietlibc segfaults under UML. Same programs with glibc works. I don't know if this is related to grsec problem but maybe this info can help.