* confused with /etc/runit/reboot
@ 2005-02-10 15:00 Alejandro Mery
From: Alejandro Mery @ 2005-02-10 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

i just noticed that when i press ctrl-alt-del my machine halts.

i'm a bit confused with /etc/runit/{reboot,stopit}

on documentation you said that stage3 reboots if o+x /etc/runit/reboot,
and CONT makes it enter stage3 if o+x /etc/runit/stopit

but on the debian sample /etc/runit/reboot is never touch-ed/chmod-ed

changing ctrl-alt-del to touch/chmod reboot instead of stop makes it not
enter stage3.
should i touch/chmod both on ctrl-alt-del? i don't see proper results
neither.

thanks in advance,
Alejandro Mery

* Re: confused with /etc/runit/reboot
@ 2005-02-13 13:39 ` Gerrit Pape
From: Gerrit Pape @ 2005-02-13 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Feb 10, 2005 at 12:00:35PM -0300, Alejandro Mery wrote:
> i just noticed that when i press ctrl-alt-del my machine halts.
>
> i'm a bit confused with /etc/runit/{reboot,stopit}
>
> on documentation you said that stage3 reboots if o+x /etc/runit/reboot,
The /etc/runit/reboot file tells the runit program to either reboot or
halt the system when stage 3 terminates.

> and CONT makes it enter stage3 if o+x /etc/runit/stopit
Yes.

> but on the debian sample /etc/runit/reboot is never touch-ed/chmod-ed

True.  This means whether the system halts or reboots depends on the
current permissions of /etc/runit/reboot, and is not set explicitly.

> changing ctrl-alt-del to touch/chmod reboot instead of stop makes it not
> enter stage3.
> should i touch/chmod both on ctrl-alt-del? i don't see proper results
> neither.

If you want the system to always reboot (or halt) on ctrl-alt-del, chmod
/etc/runit/reboot additionally to /etc/runit/stopit in ctrlaltdel.  That
should do it.

Regards, Gerrit.